Just moved into new house with pool

The suction is not safe. It needs to have an approved cover and it can't be the only suction point. No one should use the spa until it is fixed.

What line feeds the fountain?

e54b8e13-5baa-41be-8b89-e9a434a23c51-jpeg.165655

It looks like there is a line from the pool return to the spa return.

The granules look like quartz aggregate from the plaster. You can see some in the bottom suction.

Mike,

I had "assumed" that there was a skimmer in the spa as you spa pump has two inputs... One of the inputs has to be the spa drain.. The other input is a mystery and we will need to figure out what it is.

In theory the spa pump should suck water out of the drain and then return it to the spa jets... Doing this should just circulate the water in the spa and no extra water should be added, so nothing should overflow..

Your setup is odd for sure, but we should be able to figure it out, once you get your new filter.

I noticed that the seats in your spa have small holes.. I "assume" that if you turn the blower (Silver can) on, that air will come out of them.

While JamesW is technically correct about your spa drain being unsafe, logic should prevail. You surely do not want any small children to play in the spa when it is on, as they could become trapped under water. I too recommend that you get a safety cover.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: HermanTX
I suspect that the pool and spa have been changed from the original design.

In any case, if the spa only has the bottom drain, it is super dangerous. People have been seriously injured and killed by a single uncovered suction.

You need to have at least two points of suction and the suctions have to have listed covers.

In my opinion, the pool and spa should be brought up to code before being used.

Reactions: HermanTX
Mike,

I had "assumed" that there was a skimmer in the spa as you spa pump has two inputs... One of the inputs has to be the spa drain.. The other input is a mystery and we will need to figure out what it is.

In theory the spa pump should suck water out of the drain and then return it to the spa jets... Doing this should just circulate the water in the spa and no extra water should be added, so nothing should overflow..

Your setup is odd for sure, but we should be able to figure it out, once you get your new filter.

I noticed that the seats in your spa have small holes.. I "assume" that if you turn the blower (Silver can) on, that air will come out of them.

While JamesW is technically correct about your spa drain being unsafe, logic should prevail. You surely do not want any small children to play in the spa when it is on, as they could become trapped under water. I too recommend that you get a safety cover.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thank you. There actually is a cover somewhere on the patio that is probably for that. Why it was taken off I don’t know. That silver blower can...would the switch to turn it on be that little round plunger thing next to the spa in the deck? There is a loose wire protruding out of that hole also. From what I remember the valve on the far left end by the new filter is for the spa.
Thanks Mike

Mike,

A switch that close to the water is most likely an air switch, or low voltage switch.

It should be tied back to some box with a relay that gets turned on by the little switch near the spa. The relay would have 120 volts on the line side of the relay and when you push the little switch, the relay should close and send the 120 volts to the blower motor.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I suspect that the pool and spa have been changed from the original design.

In any case, if the spa only has the bottom drain, it is super dangerous. People have been seriously injured and killed by a single uncovered suction.

You need to have at least two points of suction and the suctions have to have listed covers.

In my opinion, the pool and spa should be brought up to code before being used.
Thank you. I had a home inspection done before we bought it. Waste of money as nothing was said in regards to the pool functions even though I paid for a “pool inspection”. Live and learn. But I will take your advice on bringing up to code as too many things either broken or disconnected to play around with.
What is inside the Intermatic box near the blower?
Ok so this just keeps getting better as we go along! When my son came by the other day he pulled up that round plunger thing and I thought it was a wire that had come loose from it. Just looked at it and it is actually just a plastic tube. I just called my son and he said yes it was just a plastic tube and he stuck it back up inside the hole and then put it back on the deck.

Attachments

• 33873159-DFD0-4E4D-B234-02D74ED0D8D9.jpeg
    33873159-DFD0-4E4D-B234-02D74ED0D8D9.jpeg
    783 KB · Views: 14
  • 54218091-2CF2-478A-B0AB-BE7047903162.jpeg
    54218091-2CF2-478A-B0AB-BE7047903162.jpeg
    728.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 08ADF280-9D91-42DB-97D5-F61A8F8447CA.jpeg
    08ADF280-9D91-42DB-97D5-F61A8F8447CA.jpeg
    681.7 KB · Views: 14
  • AF7C7BCB-38AD-4A6E-8A4B-C4A14FB8AFDF.jpeg
    AF7C7BCB-38AD-4A6E-8A4B-C4A14FB8AFDF.jpeg
    344.4 KB · Views: 14
The plunger creates a puff of air and that activates the air switch.

There should be a vinyl tube going from the plunger to the switch.

The reason they use air is for safety since you don't want electrical wires near the water.

The plunger creates a puff of air and that activates the air switch.

There should be a vinyl tube going from the plunger to the switch.

The reason they use air is for safety since you don't want electrical wires near the water.
So there is no mechanical electrical switch that turns the spa on or off. It basically is just like a little pool with nozzle type returns and a main drain. The only difference is that plunger that activates the air can to send bubbles into it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.