Just making sure I understand

Joshsmith81

Apr 23, 2019
Houston
Hello! We recently bought a house with a pool, so I'm pretty new at figuring everything out...This forum has already been so informative, thank you to all the experts who take time to answer questions!

I've been working to keep my levels right, and am still working on fixing some higher TA and CYA than I'd like. I've just recently also switched to liquid chlorine from cal-hypo and pucks that the previous owner used. I understand those can raise the CYA. This week, I've noticed some new algea growth on the walls and steps. The pool does not receive a ton of direct sun during the day, so I wondered if maybe that was a factor, plus rising temperatures here in Houston. I've been able to brush it off every few days, which makes the water cloudy, then it comes back. I'm assuming this is mustard algae.

With my TA at 130, and CYA at 100--which I know is pretty high-- should I replace some water to get the CYA under control before I SLAM? If so, how much water replacement is recommended for my pool size (15,000 gal)? I've seen different amounts advised here on the forum, so just want to make sure I don't take too much water, but enough to solve my problem.

Also, I am just guessing that SLAM process is what I need to do to solve this ... I may be completely wrong. Here are my current levels (Taylor K-2006)...

FC 9.8
TA 130
pH 7.7
CH 350
CYA 100
CSI .27

Thanks for any help!

- josh

should I replace some water to get the CYA under control before I SLAM?
Welcome! :wave: Yes, you definately need to lower the CYA. If your CYA is actually 100 (and not higher) a 50% water change will lower the CYA to 50. I would plan on that first. Then once you know the CYA is at the 40-50 range, do the SLAM Process. You can SLAM with a slightly higher CYA (60-70) but it requires more bleach. So your call, but I would go for the 50 mark as a target.

Once you have the CYA down, lower the pH to 7.2 then SLAM!

Reactions: Joshsmith81
Josh...have you done the diluted CYA test for levels over 100? If not, click the link and scroll down to Step 8. You may find you need to drain a bit more.

Reactions: Joshsmith81 and Oly
Josh...have you done the diluted CYA test for levels over 100? If not, click the link and scroll down to Step 8. You may find you need to drain a bit more.

I remembered after I posted that I did try the diluted test yesterday, and got 55 (which means a CYA of 110, correct?) ... I just hadn't put the number in my "pool math" app. So, I guess that means draining slightly more than half of my pool :oops:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.