Just had to drain more than half, because TDS was over 2500

Re: Just had to drain more than half, because TDS was over 2

And the only reason that all these people are adding CYA is because they use liquid chlorine......you won't need more CYA for a LONG time (Trust me, I just gave an unopened bag of CYA to goodwill, because I'm still trying to use up the 3 buckets of tabs in my shed....I use those when I need to add CYA)

TFP is about knowing what is going on in your pool, and only adding things you KNOW you need for a predictable result. All our sparkling pools are testament to that :)

As I see it, you two choices.

You can continue adding all the wallet-emptying chemicals that prompted you to look here for another answer

-or-

You can ignore the pool store, drain 50% or so of your pool and refill, order a test kit with the DPD chlorine test (like the one sold here) and use OnLY bleach, borax and baking soda for a month to see if things aren't better using the BBB method. OK, you might need Muriatic acid but that's likely all you will need. If you start with a blue pool, you could spend less than $40 for a months worth of these chemicals.

thanks again

but do I need to drain pool again, when I switch to BBB method, took tab floater out of pool, will there be any issues using BBB without pool drain if readings are all in ranges now?
just tested chem again a few min ago

fc 3.9
ph 7.3
TA 135
TDS 810
CYA 50- I misread marker this morning I guess

Looks good, you do not need to drain the pool. No need to post TDS. pH is a little low, but should come up from splashing, if you are swimming.

Bama Rambler said:
I think techguy means a test with a FAS-DPD test. It's different from just the DPD test, even though they sound almost identical.

You are correct, I was on the iPad and all caps are a pain in the tail on that thing. I was just lazy... :hammer:

The only reason we suggested draining half the water again was your CYA being at 90, but if it is only 50 you are in good shape. The Chlorine/CYA chart recommends a minimum FC level of 4ppm and you should target 6ppm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.