kenyanelson

Mar 10, 2024
Dallas TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
New pool owner. Been built almost a year and plan on taking over maintenance. The pool turns green or brown every time we have a heavy rain. I've had the filters changed 3 times and cleaned three times. I'm actually about to clean again myself for the first time today. Pool cleaner came and put in chemicals so it's back to a normal color but not clean. Need to know what test kit to start with. I reviewed the site and was going to start with TF-100. I was also going to some baking soda and add that.

Screenshot_20240314_152659_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240314_152821_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240314_152807_Gallery.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I reviewed the site and was going to start with TF-100.
YES YES YES! :goodjob: Perfect water always starts with accurate water testing, and the TF-series kits won't let you down. My TF-100 has served me well for years. Once you get your kit, please post a full set of water test results. If you have any questions about a test let us know. With those accurate numbers we'll be able to coach you through the process of changing that water ftom cloudy to crystal clear.

Be sure to bookmark our Pool Care Basics and welcome to TFP! :wave:

Reactions: kenyanelson
Hey Kenya and Welcome !!!!!

They've been doing it ALL wrong, but we got you now so things are looking up. :)

The TF100 has 2.7x the supplies of the comp K2006. It's a no brainer.

Consider the TFpro which includes a fancy case and a $44 stirrer, for a comp price to the k2006C. If you get the TF100 instead, you still WANT the stirrer. (Trust me). It's the bees knees.

Also consider getting the SLAM option. It's great for newbs and swamps who will be testing way more at first and might exhaust the normal supply. You fit a little of both reasons.

The TF-Pro is my pick since the carrying case is excellent and I would not want to go through my pool care life without a Smartstir/Speedstir.

I'd hold off on adding baking soda unless you have some reason to be raising your pH. Most DFW fill water I see is already pretty alkaline as it is. I bought a big bag of baking soda when I first moved in. It's still sitting in my pool shed unopened.

We'll definitely help you get this squared away. Welcome!

Thank You All. I just ordered the TF-Pro kit with SLAM. I got the filters cleaned using a 'Filter Flosser' and that helped a lot. About to reassemble but I can't get the drain plug off. I don't think I'm strong enough to twist it.Screenshot_20240314_170545_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240314_170600_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240314_170733_Gallery.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
About to reassemble but I can't get the drain plug off. I don't think I'm strong enough to twist it.
It's a big cap, right ? You'd need a large set of channel lock pliers or a strap wrench.

If you don't have either, use a bucket to bail it out, or a shop vac.

Also, no more Jandy mineral / ionizer cartridge thingies. They add copper to the pool which is a super no bueno.

It's a big cap, right ? You'd need a large set of channel lock pliers or a strap wrench.

If you don't have either, use a bucket to bail it out, or a shop vac.

Also, no more Jandy mineral / ionizer cartridge thingies. They add copper to the pool which is a super no bueno.
Thanks. Yes. I ended up using a pitcher and got it out. Do I need to fill it back up half way with water before I put the top on or will it fill automatically? What's a Jandy mineral/ionizer cartridge? That's what my pool builder Claffey Pools put in about a month ago. They replaced all the filters.

Do I need to fill it back up half way with water before I put the top on or will it fill automatically?
It will fill itself.
What's a Jandy mineral/ionizer cartridge?
This thing. One cap is a SWG and the other is a mineral cartridge / dispenser.

Screenshot_20240314_191434_Photo Editor.jpg

Looks like there also is either Ozone, UV or both on the wall behind it.

There are two variants of the Nature2; it's very hard to tell from that picture but I think that's the tablet dispenser version. The SWCG version has a more flat top with the contacts for the cell.

But yes, the container on the right side of the Nature2 has a dumb "mineral cartridge" that should not be used. I can't really tell what the doodad on the wall is.

Reactions: newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The TF-Pro is my pick since the carrying case is excellent and I would not want to go through my pool care life without a Smartstir/Speedstir.

I'd hold off on adding baking soda unless you have some reason to be raising your pH. Most DFW fill water I see is already pretty alkaline as it is. I bought a big bag of baking soda when I first moved in. It's still sitting in my pool shed unopened.

We'll definitely help you get this squared away. Welcome!

I will admit the carrying case is nice, but I switched to a Milwaukee pack out instead. Specifically the 48-22-8430

I use one big compartment for my SpeedStir and pH meter, and the other for my large bottle of CYA reagent

Then each small compartment holds all the chemicals needed for one specific test (with room for extra so when I order a new bottle of something because I am getting low I have room for both)

There is one small compartment left over for a towel as well

20240315_124229.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.