May 23, 2022
Beachwood, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi everyone,
Completely new here. So I purchased a home with an above ground pool. Once the cover was removed it was a pit of algae and resembled more of a swamp.
My initial water test levels were:
FC 0.12
TC 0.12
Ph 6.3
TA 0 adjusted due to high cya
CH 111
CYA 188

So, I added soda ash, circulated, and then double shocked the pool using Clorox Shock 6 in 1, I also drained about 50% of the pool and added fresh water. I’ve been running the filter nonstop.

I had my water retested today. My levels are now:
FC 1.71
TC 1.81
Ph 7.1
TA 20
CH 72
CYA 90

The pool is still slightly green and cloudy. I was going to vacuum to waste now that the water is a bit clearer. Thinking that will allow me to clean and lower the water levels to add more fresh water so I can lower the cya levels more. I’m completely new to all of this and learning as I go. Looking for advice on whether or not I should start adding more chemicals or what my next steps should be in order. Which do I focus on getting balanced before attempting to balance others, or should I worry about them simultaneously? I’d like to use the BBB method as I hear from everyone that it’s the best way to go. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to TFP! :wave: You'll find on this forum first & foremost you must have a good teat kit. Either a TF-100 (link in my signature) or Taylor K-2006C. That has to be number one. After that, no pool store chemicals or advice. They'll throw you off course but take lots of money.

So until we first know you are testing with a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit, do the following:
- Update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info. See mine as an example.
- Add only liquid chlorine or regular bleach to the water. The amount depends on your pool info - hence the signature. :)
- No more Clorox products. Just the liquid chlorine for now.
- Continue to brush and vacuum, that's fine.

Once we have your reliable test results, we'll coach you through a SLAM Process to kill and remove algae once and for all.

I have a Taylor K-1004 on the way.
Just so you know, that kit only tests for pH, TA, and "overall" (total) chlorine. You're missing out on some very valuable items. You don't really need to test CH with vinyl unless you anticipate having a very high CH level. But you do need to test free chlorine and combined chlorine separately. Together they make-up the total chlorine. To do that, you need the FAS-DPD portion for testing. You also will not be able to test CYA (Cyanuric Acid) which is extremely important so that you now how to balance your FC level. So you'll also need the CYA Test. Not sure how much you paid for the K-1004, but the TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C are much better values. Either way, you really need the FAS-DPD and R-0013 CYA test.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.