Just Getting Started from AZ

Aznewmom

May 22, 2021
Tucson, AZ
Moved from HERE

Hi everyone. I am brand new here. I have several issues, so am doing a lot of reading this past week. This thread is full of so many beautiful pools! I certainly am jelly. I am also pretty darn intimidated. I plan to order a test kit, soon! However, even that was a bit overwhelming when I got to the site and saw all the "options". Maybe some day I can share MY pool on this thread! Have a great holiday weekend (those in the states) and have fun in your pools! Cheers!! Stacy

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to TFP! :wave: We look forward to helping you and seeing posts of your crystal clear pool on the thread below one day. Keep us posted. Have a nice weekend. :swim:

Reactions: Aznewmom
Hey Stacy and Welcome !!! Also congrats on the baby. Kevin above me got here a few weeks ago and he has seen the love first hand. We like to help folks here.

Thanks, everyone. Looks like my post/comment was moved from it's original spot. LOL
NewDude........Funny you say that. My "handle" (and Yahoo email address) has been Aznewmom for the past nearly quarter century now. Everything is tied to that name it seems, and I just keep using it. :LOL:

Yes!!!!! I sure hope I can get things cleared up. The pool was included with the house we bought. I seem to see that in a lot of threads here. I grew up with a pool and really was excited to finally have one of my own. The pump, filter, creepy, all seemed to be doing okay, until about two years into this place. That's when we discovered a leak in the main skimmer basket. We have limped things along for several years now. We need to do so until we can afford to do a replacement of a lot of underground pipes. *sigh* There are many other fun stories with regard to the pool, but overall I seem to keep things going. Right now........today.......I am in the process of fixing my old Hayward creepy-crawlie. I replaced a couple of parts, about a week ago. Ever so proud of myself! Then it only worked for about a day. Now I'm moving on to tearing it down and replacing just about everything. A bigger job than I thought. Next up is to no longer buy cheapo Amazon Dry-Tec chlorine packs. I am now thinking THAT is what turned the pool white. That's about the time I found this web site. I am now putting in liquid chlorine (funny, I actually used that last year when I discovered what CYA was, and that I had too much of it!) and not replacing the hard to find tablets.

Next up is the testing kit. Do I just get the all in one, main kit, (TF100) or will I need all those extras? I'm still reading things and the test kit site was a bit confusing to me.

Thanks again for the "Hello" and I plan to hang around for awhile.
Have a great weekend.
Cheers,
Stacy

NewDude........Funny you say that. My "handle" (and Yahoo email address) has been Aznewmom for the past nearly quarter century now. Everything is tied to that name it seems, and I just keep using it. :LOL:
I’ve been Newdude long before here too. I joined an A/V forum when Blue-Ray players came out. (‘Member those?). Been Newdude ever since. :)
Next up is the testing kit. Do I just get the all in one, main kit, (TF100) or will I need all those extras?
The smartstir is the best $30 you can spend.

the XL option is good for newbs and people with swamps, who both will test a lot more than normal. In your case it will give you tons to practice with. Plus, once it all clicks the first time, people run around test happy. They test the sink, the hose, the neighbors hot tub, the sky...... just because they can. The coolness wears off pretty quick but for a few days there, It’s a fun ride.

The sample sizer makes something simple (filling a vial with water) even simpler. You just totally fill the vial and dunk the sizer in and it squishes out the excess water. If you can fill a vial to a line by yourself, most folks skip this one.

The ph tester is a neat toy for the tech geeks. Everybody else skips it.

I'm also in Tucson so if you need any advice specific to our desert climate I can try to help. We also bought an older house that already had a pool and have been working to get it refurbished and am now at the point where I am just balancing the chemistry daily. Much easier than I thought it would be after following all of the instructions here.

Thanks again for the "Hellos", everyone. Good to "meet" you. ;)
I DO remember Blu-Rays, NewDude. Matter of fact, we still have one! Thanks for the continued advice.
Hi there, Natrix. Good to see a fellow Tucson person.

Well, last night I finally pulled the proverbial trigger on the TF-100 kit. I was reading all the things that come with it and opted for the Plus/XL. Also, I got the stir-dealie (will remind me of my grad school days) and the geek in me got the pH meter. lol It was a
definitely a chaaaaaa-ching moment, but then just a 50 pounder of hockey pucks is up to $200 right now. Sure hope the learning curve isn't too steep.

I ordered the remaining parts to hopefully finish my tear down of my Hayward. Ordered the parts online and bypassed Amazon this time (lots of reasons). That was a mistake! TEN DAYS LATER........I am still waiting whilst my parts went up to Phoenix, then to NM, for some mysterious reason. *sigh* Have been vacuuming by hand and sweeping, but it just still stirs up the white crud. I am starting to believe this milky white cloud is not sand ( doesn't feel like it, nor is it brownish at all ), but perhaps Calcium. Cheepo shock the last couple of months (b4 TFP), combined with our hard as rock Tucson water, perhaps. Not sure yet. Hope the testing will tell me.

Many other stories to tell. Photos to share. My disaster pool didn't seem to start out that way, but it is rather crazy what people can hide, not tell you, and paint over when they are selling you a house. I am pretty sure the problems were there from the start, but got worse with time, ignorance, and being "pool-stored". I believe that is the term bandied about on TFP. Right?

Well, I need to get some actual work done today. Chat soon.
Cheers,
Stacy

• Love
Reactions: newdude
I finally pulled the proverbial trigger on the TF-100 kit.
Outstanding! :goodjob: With all the issues you've had, accurate water testing won't be one of them. We'll watch for those results once it arrives.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Once I had a really good understanding of how to balance the chemistry on our pool I decided to drain it. I wanted to start with a fresh canvas and not worry about anything in the pool I couldn't get out. I think it ended up costing about $100 in water and maybe another $100 in chemistry to get it to a balanced state. Something you may want to consider instead of trying to recover someone else's lack of upkeep.

Reactions: Rich807
Hello again, everyone.
Soooooooooooo...............
I got my kit and got things pretty well balanced. Whomever suggested the stir-stick, you were right!!! It made the job super easy. In the first week or two of testing, I killed every bottle to test the calcium levels. I had numbers that just didn't make sense. Frankly, the solution would never change color, ha!, so no actual numbers, just guessed. At first I thought something was wrong with the reagent, however, in the ensuing weeks the white clouds at the bottom began to clear up. Living in Tucson, we already have very high minerals in the water. Add to that, my unknowingly purchasing a cheapo-Ca-based "shock". All before TFP. ;) This lead me to think that maybe the excessive precipitate was being sucked up, over time, and that levels would eventually drop to where I could get a 'real' reading. As you will soon see, I never made it that far. *sigh*
I monitored and used my kit for most of June and July. Things looked pretty good and I was even able to get in a few times! YEAY>
However, all that was short lived.

I was going to share more on this forum, back in June, including all of my test results. Then all heck broke loose around this place. It's been a LONG couple of months. My MIL died, kids had to travel, car issues, and then came the record breaking Tucson Monsoon. All my numbers, by now, are pretty meaningless, I guess. I must have been doing something right, though, as the pool stayed pretty good looking for about two weeks post the pump finally dying. Yes......the monsoon not only wrecked my roof, **sigh**, it killed my apparently old and lousy pump. So, now the pool is a green swampy mess. It seemed to go from not so great, just last week, to full on swamp, within about three days. I am super sad. :cry: I was so proud of myself for rebuilding my creepy-crawlie, learning to do the chemical tests, and keeping things limping along with an iffy pump. a mess of leaking pipes (Bucket brigade during running hours), and a sand filter I could no longer get open. It all just needed to last for another couple of months!! Unfortunately, the ongoing storms were just too much for the pump.

I have now learned that this most certainly was not the pump that should have been on this pool. As a matter of fact, it was probably bordering on dangerous. It was a small pump, I don't know the HP, and only running on 110. I am guessing it was not designed for use on a 33K pool. It literally rusted through on one side of the housing, too. It was plugged into a rickety GFCI outlet. I learned all this was not sufficient or done correctly, from the pool guy who came out to give me a quote. I'm sure glad our home inspector from when we bought the place, saw all of the Mickey Mouse things here before we signed off. LOL
NOT!!! But I digress.

Here is the main point of my long winded post..................
Are you still there???

The guy who came out has quoted me $3800 to do the work to fix all this. Two of my neighbors have used him, and he was recommended to them by a third neighbor. I guess all of these people use this guy for all of their pool work. From how the work was "quoted", I will assume he is someone who works for a "proper" pool company, by day, and does his own thing on evenings and weekends. The quote was verbal and I cannot seem to get details. When I asked more questions, I was told it would be a "Superflow variable speed Pentair". That is literally it. No model numbers. He says he will redo the sand filter, new sand, fix the interior fins, fix the pvc piping so it is all new around the equipment, install a new circuit breaker in a box we found on that end of the house, install the pump, and obviously make sure it all runs. He tells me the pump itself will be $1200 of this price.
This still seems like a TON of money for this project. It also seems that legally I would need to have an electrician out to do the new circuit breaker at the box and install 220 to the area where the new pump will reside. Seems I would need a permit to do all of this work, as well. I was told none of that is necessary and he's done it all before. I have been told this guy is good at what he does, honest, and will do it right. However, I am nervous and hesitant to move forward.
BUT........I now have a swamp.

The roof and interior water damage, amongst other things, has taken precedence, but I really cannot put this off too much longer.
I would love to get some feedback from the knowledgeable TFP people here. You guys helped me with my early learning curve and gave me insight into how to better maintain my pool. I was motivated to take on that rebuild and maintain my own chemicals and cleaning! However, this is well and truly beyond what I want to tackle.

I will go and see if I can get some photos.
Thanks for any input!! Please be gentle with me, it's been a LONG summer.
:)

Cheers,
Stacy

Holy Cow Stacy……. That’s all just awful. I’m so sorry it’s been going like it has. I went though a similar patch and by the end of it, we packed up and moved. Changes in Lattitudes, changes in attitudes. It was a mile north, but still. The latitude changed. Lol.

The quote seems really high to me. But skilled workers are getting premium dollars right now. He won’t lose $1500 that someone else will pay to do you the favor for the day.

Depending on the scope of the electric work need that he is willing to do, the price may not be that terrible. Does the electric need trenching and a sub panel by the pump ? That could be a good chunk of the quote as panels are pricey too right now and trenching requires labor time or an expensive rental machine.

Last edited:
Just my opinion, but the quote doesn't seem too unreasonable, if he is as good as everyone around you says he is. I would rather pay to have someone do it right, than to have a cheapo shady person mess with my pool! The pump alone is pricey, but that seems to be the case these days, unfortunately. But if you bite the bullet and get it done right, you can maybe enjoy your pool for a while before winter! Keep posting so we can go on this journey with you :D

Hey guys! Thanks so much for the input. Perhaps I do just bite the proverbial bullet and get 'er done.
Even if over priced, the job will be done and I can get back to something other than the nastiness.
I think just looking at it, and my ceilings, is making me want to run away from home!

Again, thanks so much for the input.
I will try to get a couple photos and answer a bit better, perhaps tomorrow.
Cheers,
Stacy

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.