Just getting started...did my first full test

pool_dle

May 31, 2020
Portland, OR
Totally new! I got my kids a pool for the summer because of quarantine and all of our local pools being closed. Got it set up last week, added CYA and Chlorine, and have been testing Chlorine levels. I ordered my test kit and today I did my first full test and here are the levels:

PH - 6.8
FC - 4 (I added Chlorine last night about 15 hours ago)
CC - .5
CH - 25
TA - 10
CYA - 30

What are my next steps in terms of what I need to add? Thanks!!

Welcome to the forum!
Good job getting a quality test kit.
Have you added anything to make the TA and pH so low? Dichlor, trichlor, acid?
You need to add baking soda. Start with targeting a TA of 60 ppm. Add that amount of baking soda, mix the water really good, and then test pH and TA again.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

I haven't added anything else! I know, it seemed strange that that those levels so low. I'll go grab baking soda today and start with that and post back.

Welcome to the forum!
You need to add baking soda. Start with targeting a TA of 60 ppm. Add that amount of baking soda, mix the water really good, and then test pH and TA again.

Reactions: mknauss
Okay, baking soda added! Here are my new levels:

PH - 7.2
FC - 4
CC - .5
CH - 25
TA - 60
CYA - Was 30 this morning. Should I test this again? It shouldn't change, right?

Should I add anything else? CH is still low but does it matter with a vinyl pool? Also, I was initially aiming for a CYA of 40, should I add some more stabilizer or stick with the 30 level?

Thanks again!

Welcome to the forum!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.