Just getting started and need help.

laurandavid09 said:
I need to bring my pool water level down some.

I think tomorrow my FC may not lose more than 1 ppm. My pool is pretty much clear now. I can see the bottom in the shallow and deep. I can even see the cover now at the deep end, which is the first time I have seen that.

So assuming my FC does not drop over 1 ppm, what will be the next steps I should take?
I think zea3 has your ticket! I agree that if you find that your Overnight Free Chlorine Loss Test is successful (< 1 ppm loss) and the pool is just as clear as you want it... pat yourself on the back for putting this behind you and take a day of rest!

All done resting? Good! :lol:

*** Viewed your pics just before posting this. The pool is clearer than a few days ago. Is clarity back to where you want it? ***

zea3 nicely summarizes a low-effort winter schedule:

Check Chlorine, TA, pH, CH, CYA to see where you are at now. Adjust to recommended levels as per Pool Calculator. Then try to keep chlorine at the top of the daily range and test pH, TA, & CH weekly.

Clarity is back to a level I want it at. It could always be clearer I assume. Is there something to make it clearer then what it is. I can see clearly to the bottom in the whole pool so I am happy. I do see some leaves and junk at the bottom, which is the first time I saw so I am going to get those removed and do a good vacuum again, backwash again and go swimming. I have a round leaf grabber (not sure of exact name, it is round, has wheels and attach garden hose and pole to it and a bag catches all the leaves). After all my hardwork I deserve it.

Here are a full test results

pH-7.5 (has held steady for a while now)
CL/BR-5/10 (I assume this has to do with shocking)
FC-12 (Becasue of shocking)
CC-.5
TX-12.5 (FC+CC I believe)
TA160 (Seems a little high, not sure if that has to do with shocking)
CH-220
CYA-30

Based off of these results, is there anything that I should do?

Thanks for everyones help

laurandavid09 said:

CC-.5
CH-220
CYA-30

I hope you don't mind, but I turned a few questions back around to you. :-D

pH-7.5 -- Test this again in a few days when the FC is lower... but it looks good now.

CL/BR-5/10 -- This is the OTO chlorine test and it isn't valid; the OTO test maxes out at 5 ppm but you know from your days spent shocking that FC is much higher. Why don't you forget about the OTO test next time? Just use FAS-DPD until FC is back in OTO's testing range 0-5 ppm.

FC-12 -- FAS-DPD test. What level should Free Chlorine (FC) be allowed to fall to? (How much chlorine do you want in your pool every day?)

TA160

CH-220

CYA-30

Do you have a SWG (Salt Water Chlorine Generator) on this pool?

Sorry if you've already answered this! Want to be sure I'm advising you correctly regarding CYA level.

Just from your experience so far ... days and days of testing ... What do you think we should do with these test results?

polyvue said:
laurandavid09 said:

CC-.5
CH-220
CYA-30

I hope you don't mind, but I turned a few questions back around to you. :-D

pH-7.5 -- Test this again in a few days when the FC is lower... but it looks good now.

CL/BR-5/10 -- This is the OTO chlorine test and it isn't valid; the OTO test maxes out at 5 ppm but you know from your days spent shocking that FC is much higher. Why don't you forget about the OTO test next time? Just use FAS-DPD until FC is back in OTO's testing range 0-5 ppm.

FC-12 -- FAS-DPD test. What level should Free Chlorine (FC) be allowed to fall to? (How much chlorine do you want in your pool every day?)

TA160

CH-220

CYA-30

Do you have a SWG (Salt Water Chlorine Generator) on this pool?

Sorry if you've already answered this! Want to be sure I'm advising you correctly regarding CYA level.

Just from your experience so far ... days and days of testing ... What do you think we should do with these test results?

I do not have a SWG. I think TA should come down some. Maybe CYA should go up some around 50. FC should be allowed to fall to around 4-5. Maybe increase CH to around 250-260. I just did the OTO test because it was in the same thing as the pH test.

I guess with the results I have, is it safe to swim I assume?

laurandavid09 said:
I do not have a SWG. I think TA should come down some. Maybe CYA should go up some around 50. FC should be allowed to fall to around 4-5. Maybe increase CH to around 250-260. I just did the OTO test because it was in the same thing as the pH test.

I guess with the results I have, is it safe to swim I assume?
Good guesses, all. If using the Pool Calculator is in your comfort zone, just point your browser to http://www.poolcalculator.com/ and enter your test results, # pool gallons (top of page) and Suggest Goal Levels ("TroubleFreePool.com/bleach/plaster") - on the last row (bottom of page), then press the Calculate button.

If you're not inclined toward spreadsheets, you can always just be sure your results are within Recommend Levels, and work to be sure that Free Chlorine is always 7.5% or more of the CYA level. Of course, FC is much higher than 7.5% of CYA now due to shocking. It'll come down over the next few days.

Regarding whether it's safe to swim at 12 ppm...

• FC 12 ppm / CYA 30 ppm = 40%

That's too much chlorine for me, I think—but if my kids were here they'd already be swimming. :-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Give yourself a major big pat on the back for what you have accomplished. :whoot: You have done a great job and your persistence has really paid off. :cheers:

It will get easier and easier to maintain your pool as you get even more practice. At some point it may become so "natural" that if someone ask you what you have done, you'll have to pause and think about the process before answering.

Getting a neglected pool in great shape is kind of like childbirth (a very loose analogy "girls"). It can be painful but the end result is really worth the effort. I don't know if your are Laura or David, but I assume David, as you braved the chilly water (adult guys seem a little less sensitive to the cold than adult gals). :lol: Either way you have been a great nurturing parent. :-D

gg=alice

laurandavid09 said:
Now that I got my pool under control, can I just run the pump during the day instead of the 24/7 I have been lately.
Regular schedule. If your water temperature is still warmer than 70 and you're still swimming, or planning to swim, you'll want to run the pump/filter so that it completes at least 1 turnover (~20K gallons) a day. Depending on your pump and system configuration that might mean just 3-4 hrs... or more than 8 hours.

If/when the pool water temp falls below 60, you can reduce further; but keep up on your testing and a sharp eye on your water clarity....

polyvue said:
laurandavid09 said:
Now that I got my pool under control, can I just run the pump during the day instead of the 24/7 I have been lately.
Regular schedule. If your water temperature is still warmer than 70 and you're still swimming, or planning to swim, you'll want to run the pump/filter so that it completes at least 1 turnover (~20K gallons) a day. Depending on your pump and system configuration that might mean just 3-4 hrs... or more than 8 hours.

If/when the pool water temp falls below 60, you can reduce further; but keep up on your testing and a sharp eye on your water clarity....

It is right below or at 70 degrees. This is Houston though, so tomorrow it could be 90 degrees. So for now no more swimming unless I get the itch to swim.

Thanks again for everyones help on everything. I agree persistance does pay off eventually as we can tell.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.