Just filled pool, now what?

kellylean

Jun 23, 2020
I have a Taylor K-1005 test kit.
Pool is vinyl, 14,400 gal.
I put a chlorine floater with 2 3" tablets in it while we filled the pool from our well, nothing else.

As expected, chlorine is essentially nil in the test. I think it might be slightly pink, but not much.
pH is 7.2
Total alk 320ppm
Calcium hardness 320 ppm
When I tested for CYA the sample never "got foggy so you can't see the black dot".

So how do I start? I assumed I'd need to do a shock, and then test again to see where we land on values. Is that right? May need a little pH plus?

Help!

Welcome to the forum!
No need to adjust pH. Your TA will allow the pH to rise quite quickly.
You should start dissolving 30 ppm of CYA using the sock method.
Add 3 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine. Maintain your FC based on 30 ppm CYA as shown on the FC/CYA Levels using liquid chlorine from now on. It needs to be added daily.

You should consider upgrading your test kit. Are you sure your current kit is not the K2005? You need a FAS-DPD test kit to add to it. See TFTestkits.net for the kit.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

We do things differently at TFP. We don't use pucks, for one thing.

Like Marty said, get some CYA dissolving in a sock so you reach 30 ppm. Add enough chlorine to reach 3 ppm FC. You can figure these amts using PoolMath. After you read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry be sure to browse through Pool School, which will help you understand the TFP method better.

And welcome to TFP! :wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.