Just completed a brand new white plaster pool and it has grit and other stuff in the plaster

May 25, 2013
New Orleans, Louisiana
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
I just had an inground, salt pool installed at my new house. I've had a pool before and reviewed everything carefully with the builder. My last pool was gray and I liked that minor discoloration was not noticeable. He said, no problem, white plaster can be cleaned easily. So I went with white. After it was installed, he said I should brush it twice a day to keep sand from imbedding. I brushed it twice a day with a few exceptions the first month. It's a very big pool. Towards the end, I started noticing sand (he used river sand to landscape around the pool, with rye grass) imbedded in places. I also noticed a few faint, gray swirls on the bottom of the pool that don't look like sand. He now suggests we put in a lot of muriatic acid to take off the slight top layer, which will loosen the grit and then it can be brushed away. He said afterwards something to counteract the acidity is added and it will not be an issue. So the acid would only sit in the pool for about a day or so. He suggested a lot of acid--maybe 8 or 10 gallons. I can't remember exactly now. He said if that didn't work, we would have to drain the pool and brush it. When I read about acid washes I only see where it's done on a drained pool. We also haven't talked about who is paying for this work. I think him. But I 've never had this issue.

Attachments

• IMG_2814.JPG
    IMG_2814.JPG
    169.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2811.JPG
    IMG_2811.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2809.JPG
    IMG_2809.JPG
    149.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2810.JPG
    IMG_2810.JPG
    179.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2816.JPG
    IMG_2816.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2815.JPG
    IMG_2815.JPG
    165.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2812.JPG
    IMG_2812.JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 28
The article below is a good read to prepare you for your discussion with the PB.

This article discusses several acid wash processes - see post #4

Reactions: kimkats
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.