Just can't get the dead algae out

Oct 25, 2010
Austin, TX
After going through Leslie's algae removal procedure 3 times, each time we could not get the dead algae out of the pool, and then it bloomed again. We would see it all there settled on the bottom, but when we vacuumed, it came straight back out through the jets. BTW the Leslie's procedure is:
1) Lower the pH to 7.2
2) Add "Green to Clean" aka "Yellow Out"
3) Add three big doses of Power Powder Plus (fast-dissolving cal-hypo) 12 hours apart
4) When FC is down to normal levels, add ClearAid (enzyme that makes the dead algae clump)
5) Filter out and/or vacuum dead algae

So the Leslie's guy speculated that our cartridge filter housing had a broken manifold. A friend who owns a pool service company came out and thought the exact same thing. We invested in brand new pump and sand filter. And guess what -- exact same result. it comes right back through the jets. At least now we have a waste setting so we can pump that crud to the lawn.

I finally realized that the reason it kept re-blooming was that we let the FC fall to 3-4, but our CYA is 100.

In any case, I added a ton of Power Powder Plus again a few days ago (I skipped the Green to Clean), and that seemed to kill it, but the pool is still green, and not much has settled out, so vacuuming to lawn isn't helping much. So off to Leslie's to buy another darn bottle of ClearAid for $27. Or should I just give up and replace all the water? My friend estimates that would cost $600 including water bill.

Attachments

• 20180714_172018.jpg
    20180714_172018.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 164
Welcome to our forum! :wave: Well, you've been pool stored like many of us at one time. Your issue is not the filter, and those overnight snake oils won't do it either. You need your own proper test kit and need to perform a TFP SLAM Process. The proper use of chlorine is the correct way to kill algae so that your filter can remove the "dead" algae. But you need either a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C (link below), then simply stay out of the pool store. Get the proper test kit, then verify your true CYA level by doing a diluted CYA test as noted on the Pool School - CYA page starting at Step #8. Then you will know how much water to exchange to lower the CYA to something reasonable - around 40-50 or so.

For now, simply add 1 gallon of regular bleach (plain - no splashless or scented products) to the water each evening. Buy or add nothing else. Just get one of those kits. I have the TF-100 and love it. The magnetic speedstir is a treasured item for many as well, so I'd get that if you can. Once you do, post back with all of your results and we'll coach you through a SLAM. Please also review our ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry page and save those Vital Links below in my signature. Also please update your city/state location since that influences our advice as well. Thanks!

Hi, welcome to TFP! You need to lower the CYA in the pool, which involves draining and replacing about 50-70% of your water. Then you need a good FAS/DPD test kit such as the TF 100 or the Taylor K2006C so that your can use the SLAM Process procedure to clear your pool.

The products Leslie's was having you use actually worsened your problem. The only thing you need to kill algae is liquid chlorine in sufficient quantities in direct ratio to the CYA level. Liquid chlorine doesn't add additional CYA like dichlor and trichlor granules, and it doesn't add calcium like Power Powder Plus. It also doesn't add ammonia like Green to Clean and Yellow Out. One of the problems with ammonia is that it takes a lot of chlorine to get rid of it. In the mean time the algae is happy and growing as there is not enough active chlorine to kill it off.

We recommend you read throughABCs of Pool Water Chemistry, and get one of the test kits I mentioned so you can take control of your pool. I would pass on any more pool store potions.

I agree, you need about 50% water change at a minimum to reduce CYA. From there, get a good test kit as mentioned, preform a SLAM, and start using liquid chlorine only. Pool store is steering you wrong, and you never really killed all the algae with their method. That's why it "came back". Once you learn the method taught on this site (which is simple btw), you will be in better shape than any pool store has ever guided you.

Welcome! :wave:

I won't burden you with a bunch of technical talk. I'll just direct you to some threads that ought to encourage and inspire you. The newest ones are last. Just do what they did.

attachment.php

Hi everyone, thank you so much for replying, and so quickly! Even thought this was my first post, I've actually been on TFP for a while, but maybe now I'm actually going to convert to your way of thinking.

My thoughts now:
1) Since I need to drain 50-70% of the pool to get the CYA down, I'm thinking just drain the whole thing, that way there isn't anything I still need to kill. Not that I don't believe that SLAMming works, but it seems quicker and easier. And I trust my pool service co. friend to do it right.
2) I should have mentioned before, we badly need a remodel and replaster, so my hope was that we could somehow limp along until then, since that will require a 100% drain. But it's already mid-July and we haven't been able to swim once, and it seems that plaster companies are busy right now. So I feel bad about draining twice, but at least we're not in a drought any more here in Austin.
3) Any ideas on the phenomenon where there's tons of dead algae on the bottom of the pool, but when I vacuum it comes straight back out through the jets? Is that normal?

Since you can't get rid of 100% of the water you will still need to slam, but it won't be anything like clearing a swamp. You'll need to run high chlorine levels through the plumbing and filter to kill off anything remaining.

Do you have a multiport valve on your sand filter? Do you see stuff coming back into the pool with normal filtration?

Since you can't get rid of 100% of the water you will still need to slam, but it won't be anything like clearing a swamp. You'll need to run high chlorine levels through the plumbing and filter to kill off anything remaining.

Do you have a multiport valve on your sand filter? Do you see stuff coming back into the pool with normal filtration?

Yes, I have a muliport valve. When I vacuum, ~10 seconds later I see green clouds from the jets. When I had the cartridge filter, the theory was a crack in the manifold. Now I have a brand new sand filter. I read that sand only goes down to 30 microns, so maybe that's why. If I drain everything, I guess it's a moot point, but is it possible that even after installing new pump and new filter there is some weird way the water is bypassing the filter???

And yes, it's on the filter setting, not recirculate. I know that it's actually filtering because the pressure went up and I backwashed, etc.

If by "normal filtration" you mean when I'm not vacuuming, I don't know how I would know if green water is coming out of the jets, since everything is green.

I have to ask because I don't see it above ..... are you using one of the proper test kits (TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C)? If not, I wouldn't exhaust myself too much yet. Wait until you are basing all adjustments off of your own testing - especially the CYA. Now if you do have one of those kits and are exchanging water, that's fine. Remember never drain all the away unless you have done research in advance (or working with a company) to ensure the pool structure can survive being empty. It's also worth pointing out that when a pool is full of algae, it's not uncommon to see some blow back into the pool from the jets. Mine did before I found TFP. A filter can only do so much, and it's designed to catch the dead stuff, not live algae. But even with a major water exchange, a SLAM will be required simply because of the algae lingering in the plumbing and filter. Your filter is new I believe, so it should be fine as long as no floc or unusual pool store products were added to compromise the sand. Speaking of which,...... what type of sand did you add? Regular #20 silica pool sand I hope? Always good to ask. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No, I have not yet bought one of those kits. I got my CYA level from Leslie's. I don't know the sand type, invoice says "Filter grade sand and pea gravel".

I've decided to do a professional drain and fill, but I will make sure they do a SLAM.

Don’t expect a pool service to use TFP methods. There are some who do, but they are few and far between. If you are depending on “professional” help you may find yourself disappointed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.