Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi All,

I just had an IC40 installed in my pool. Still working on getting the salt level correct before firing it up. Looking at my results, I can see that my FC is low, should I correct that before turning on the SWG? Are there any other pitfalls I should be looking out for?

------------------------------------------
Chemical Addition 06-25-2022 @ 04:02 PM
+ 1 Gallons of MuriaticAcid14

Test Results 06-25-2022 @ 02:51 PM
Salt: 3350
CSI: 0.55

Chemical Addition 06-25-2022 @ 02:16 PM
+ 80 Pounds of Salt

Maintenance 06-25-2022 @ 02:16 PM
Brushed

Test Results 06-25-2022 @ 08:20 AM
Salt: 2700
CSI: 0.58

Chemical Addition 06-24-2022 @ 07:40 PM
+ 160 Pounds of Salt

Test Results 06-24-2022 @ 07:11 PM ***Before adding any salt.
Free Chlorine: 1.1
Combined Chlorine: 0.0
pH: 7.8
Total Alkalinity: 135
Calcium Hardness: 620
CYA: 51
Salt: 1752
Temperature: 83°F
CSI: 0.65

Can you post a full set of test results from your TF-100 test kit. Your TA and FC show results not consistent with your test kit.

I can see that my FC is low, should I correct that before turning on the SWG
Yes. Get FC to target level for your CYA (FC/CYA Levels) and set the SWG to match daily FC loss. If you're not sure what your daily loss is, set up the SWG to produce 4 ppm of FC and adjust from there.

Can you post a full set of test results from your TF-100 test kit. Your TA and FC show results not consistent with your test kit.

Yes. Get FC to target level for your CYA (FC/CYA Levels) and set the SWG to match daily FC loss. If you're not sure what your daily loss is, set up the SWG to produce 4 ppm of FC and adjust from there.
Thanks for the reply Rancho. Also, good catch. The latest numbers are results supplied by the pool store...I didn't have a way to test for salt (new kit in the mail) so I had my water tested there.

Chemical Addition 06-26-2022 @ 06:57 AM
+ 44 FluidOunces of Bleach

Test Results 06-26-2022 @ 06:35 AM
Free Chlorine: 1.0
Combined Chlorine: 0.5
pH: 7.5
Total Alkalinity: 150
Calcium Hardness: 750
CYA: 50
Salt: 3350
Temperature: 83°F
CSI: 0.41

Chemical Addition 06-25-2022 @ 04:02 PM
+ 1 Gallons of MuriaticAcid14

Until you get your SWG online, handle the pool as a liquid chlorine pool. Get FC up to target level (FC/CYA Levels).

You can use "Effects of Adding Chemicals" in Pool Math to calculate the output percentage of the SWG based on how long you run the pump. Running your SWG 24/7 @ 100% should increase FC by 11 ppm.

As your calcium level continues to rise due to evaporative top-offs, your CSI will become harder to manage. You may experience scaling and flakes from the SWG cell. Try to keep CSI in the range of 0.0 to -0.30 to reduce scaling tendencies. Lowering TA and keeping pH on the lower end of the range will bring CSI down.

You may need a water exchange to reduce CH soon. If you have access to softened water, find a way to connect to the pool fill line. Some of use portable RV softeners, but they're a bit of a pain to manually flush (link in my sig).

Here's an article on lowering TA. It's a bit of challenge, particularly if your fill water has high TA content.

The TA of my feed water tested at 120
That's not "high," but it is higher than the recommended range of 50-90 ppm, so fill water will constantly try to pull up TA. My TA fill water is 130 and it's a bit of battle trying to maintain 80 ppm in the pool.

1656255648872.png

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.