Jumping in from DFW, and a question of course :)

Jul 5, 2017
DFW TX
Hi, this looks like a great forum with tons of info so I'm looking forward to participating. Thanks for the ad :)

Just had a new in-ground pool built and it's been up and running for just on two weeks now, and seeing the flow of water I'm wondering if we were oversold on equipment. It's not a problem however if I get questions from other people I would like to sound educated. It's about 20K gallons with a rock wall on one side about 18" tall with eight water outlets (waterfalls). I notice with the valves to each waterfall set correctly, most of the water bypasses the waterfalls and shoots back into the pool through an outlet; and I mean a lot of water. The waterfall pump is a Pentair 1.5 HP with strainer bucket. Seems this pump was overkill.

The main pool pump is a Pentair 3.0HP variable speed, and they also installed a Pentair 1.1HP for the cleaner.

So we have three pumps, and I've owned pools before but never needed more than two pumps. During construction I just trusted them that the equipment was needed due to waterfalls and spa....

So what do you think... my pumps will last for years cause they aren't being worked? LOL

Steve,

Welcome to TFP... A Great pool resource for all guys named Steve, whether they are Wet or not...

Having a pump for your pool cleaner is like having an old black rotary dial phone... about a century behind on technology... :p Robots do a much better job and do not require you to run any pumps to clean your pool.

In my opinion, your IntelliFlo is the best variable speed pump you can buy..

Not sure on the waterfall pump, but most waterfalls have valves to adjust the amount of water coming over the falls.. Seems to me that if you have 8 waterfalls you would need a waterfall pump. Maybe the problem is the design of the falls and not the pump..

You did not say, but how are you currently chlorinating your pool?

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.