Jetted Hot tub 'Action' not There - Plumbing Issue?

Chris19D

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 28, 2015
Cypress, Texas
Okay, so here’s my dilemma.

I’ve had my new pool finished for a couple of months and since it was commissioned, I’ve had an issue with very low flow / pressure from the hot tub returns (not jetted air/water blowing- just typical pool return type flow).

Both the pool and the hot tub are powered by the same VS 3.0 HP Pentair pump, and the return flow to the pool seems very strong (at maximum RPM’s - 3,750, with six returns) the flow to the hot tub, however, seems to put out less flow than the pool, and it most certainly does not disturb the water (jetted hot tub effect) as my last hot tub did. Since the jetted effect wasn’t there, the PB diced to install a blower to try and compensate, but it only ‘blows’ out of a couple of the returns...and since I have a rolled edge on the hot tub, really the only thing the blower accomplishes is to blow the water right over the edge and onto the ground.

What I believe the issue is most likely either too small diameter discharge piping to the hot tub (2”) or a too small suction from the Eclipse main drain (2’) - or a combination of both. Both drains are single Eclipse

The first thing we have done to troubleshoot was to pull the eyeballs off and make sure the lines were clear. While there was a tiny amount of plaster and debris in there, we didn’t find that to be the cause. Also have played with many different eyeball sizes but nothing is getting me where I need. We have also blocked out 1, then 2, then 3 returns to try and force more water through the other returns with no effect.

The hot essentially asks like a warm pool and just doesn’t have the same effect we were expecting.

We have contacted another pool builder that we have experience with to come out and assist in the troubleshooting but I wanted to reach out to the experts here for assistance or ideas.

Thank you!

Attachments

• Hot Tub Construction.jpg
    Hot Tub Construction.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 82
  • Hot Tub Gunite.jpg
    Hot Tub Gunite.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 82
  • Hot Tub.jpg
    Hot Tub.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 84
  • Finished Pool.jpg
    Finished Pool.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 79
Wondering if having a booster pump in line to the hot tub would have any effect on the spa returns. PB installed a blower but it doesn't work when in 'spa mode' (not enough force to blow through all spa returns). Blower is 1.5 HP trying to overcome a 3 HP main pump.

How far away is your pool equipment from the spa? Is that were the air inlet (now blower) is for the spa?

You mentioned working on the spa jets. They have o-rings and must be carefully installed to operate properly. If some are not getting any air I would suspect issues with the jet installation (I had that issue).

With six jets the Intelliflo should be fine I would think. Others may have more questions or suggestions.

Take care.

Thank you for the reply. The equipment is less than 50' away - certainly less than my previous hot tub build in 2015 (where hot tub worked flawlessly), and the hot tub is in between the pool and the equipment (closer to pump).

The spa jet internals weren't worked on post install (just eyeballs at the plaster surface) so I have no idea what they did on initial installation. My fear is there is an issue inside the plastered gunite wall (worst case, in my opinion).

I would suggest removing one of the spa jets that is not seeing any air when the blower is on. You may need a tool to remove them. I have Hayward style jets and the tool makes removing them easy.

The pool builder personnel I had were clueless on the spa jets. They attempted to fix a few times and then I just got the removal tool online and fixed it in a few minutes.

Yes, I agree there and I did the same (removed the little insert that is in there jet) to no avail. I didn't even want the blower at all, just the regular 'jetted' action is all I want but the PB thought the blower would fix the issues.

I will give your suggestion a shot though and any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

This is the right sub forum.

Not a lot of issues like this discussed on the forum. Normally it is pretty simple as the jet bodies control what you get as far as air - water mix.

No, that is not what I am talking about. The jets have a diffuser section screwed into the jet body that is in the gunite. The jet diffuser is typically the issue as their are o rings that can get rolled off during install.

Do you know what brand / model jets that were used? If so, look at Inyopools for a description of them. Get a wrench to remove them. It is very rare that the body that is in the gunite is an issue.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Removing the jet inserts were the first thing we did when we started troubleshooting. I do not know the brand but these are what the inserts look like. He did call them T-jets.

Removing them only barely increased the flow, but no 'diffusing' of the water. The PB claims that Pentair told him the 3hp pump is just too small which I do not believe they told him, but that's another story.

Attachments

• Jet1.jpg
    Jet1.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 36
  • Jet2.jpg
    Jet2.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 36
  • Pool Equipment.jpg
    Pool Equipment.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 36
  • VSP.jpg
    VSP.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 36
Those inserts do not have any way to mix in the air. Do you remember the brand name?

An Intelliflo is plenty big for six jets. Your spa volume looks pretty big so it would not be violently churning but it should be putting out a pretty good stream.

You are sure all of the flow is going to the spa when you switch the valves?

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry - you said you do not know the brand name.

I will do some searching.

Yes sir, 100% of the flow is going to the spa when in spa mode. I can confirm the pump is at full rpm's (3,750) and the 2 automatic valves switch to 'spa mode' (from spa on the suction side and full spa on the discharge). I have also personally gone to each of the pool returns a felt for flow and they are not flowing anything.

I do see a pn on the nozzle I removed (23304) and cross referenced it on the Googles and came up with this part. This one looks longer and skinnier, but I think I'm in the neighborhood. I think the link is the 12" and mine is a 5".

12In Threaded Ext Dbl Tee Jet Nozzle - PST Pool Supplies

These type of jets usually need 12-15 gpm per jet. With the pump at max rpm (3450) what is the pressure on the filter gauge? In the picture pre gunite there's two pipes coming out the bottom wall they look connected to the spa loop are they something else

KADavis, normally I should know that number but right now it's escaping me - I will check it out when I get home this afternoon.

One thing the pool builder tried to say was that we had to many returns (9) in the hot tub and this was the cause. Of course, he was the one who suggested the 2 additional jets for the feet.

During the troubleshooting process, we blocked in up to three at a time (started at 1 and worked our way up) which did not do anything to change the velocity coming out.

Thank you for the reply.

*Update*

Found out my PB did not install venturi style jets in the hot tub (special jets with a separate air line at pump skid that pulls air in while in spa mode to give the water the 'blender' effect)- I didn't even know this was something that wasn't an option when building. I guess I'll mark this down as a 'must verify' the next time I build a pool since I don't see me jack-hammering into the gunite to replace them.

Thanks for the suggestions to the ones who replied to the OP.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.