jets slow over time

west

Apr 6, 2017
Cumming GA
Hello,

I am very new to pools. My father passed away recently after a long sickness and I have taken on the task of cleaning up the pool and getting it back in shape so my mother can maintain it. This pool is 20x40 and approx 40,000 gallons, vinyl liner with sand filter. It has 2 jets. It used to have 4, but for whatever reason they got removed at the last liner change so I have two. It has been running this way for a while. It also has two skimmers and a main drain. I have shocked it and poured in calcium and baking soda and the water is looking pretty good (now that most of the leaves and debris is out). My biggest problem is that the jets that circulate the water won't maintain their pressure. To try and resolve this I have checked the pump filter by removing the top to the filter and turning on each incoming line separately and letting the water flow. They all seemed similar in flow and unrestricted. After that I back washed and rinsed the sand filter and put the pool back into normal operation. The jets work great for a while and then the flow starts to slow and eventually becomes negligible. I have performed this same operation 4 times, back washed extensively and each time get the same results. The backwash and rinse are running clean. I would think if there were a clog I wouldn't get the initial flow from the system. It has been suggested that it is time to replace the sand, which is fine, but I don't see why it would work fine initially and then slow down. Your suggestions are appreciated.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.