Jets, pumps, rebar, oh my! New build in Southwest FL! 🤗 Any advice before we sign?

Bradenpool

Feb 13, 2021
Sarasota
Hey there!
Finally taking the “plunge” and putting in a pool. Before we sign the contract we were hoping to get some thoughts from a few who have done it before. Anything you would change here? Do the mechanicals look ok? Anything you wish you would have done differently? The existing screen will be removed and a cage will be put on (we debated this, but after living here have decided the bugs and critters from the pond will likely be a pain).
Thanks for your feedback!

Attachments

• 3B56D52E-ADC7-47C9-96C5-2DDEF38EB5A1.jpeg
    3B56D52E-ADC7-47C9-96C5-2DDEF38EB5A1.jpeg
    401.7 KB · Views: 68
  • ECB072D2-7890-470A-8143-9CA16EC65872.jpeg
    ECB072D2-7890-470A-8143-9CA16EC65872.jpeg
    461.6 KB · Views: 55
  • F5A4DD3C-5A1B-4298-809E-52C05EA3A19D.jpeg
    F5A4DD3C-5A1B-4298-809E-52C05EA3A19D.jpeg
    335.9 KB · Views: 54
  • C61CF19F-B405-4276-91A2-C37E9FB8C395.jpeg
    C61CF19F-B405-4276-91A2-C37E9FB8C395.jpeg
    537.9 KB · Views: 63
  • A3C5A702-9A34-4480-B814-AFE954FCBC6B.jpeg
    A3C5A702-9A34-4480-B814-AFE954FCBC6B.jpeg
    180.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 904D6902-8D6E-4DD3-9843-E51E1A5FE9C7.jpeg
    904D6902-8D6E-4DD3-9843-E51E1A5FE9C7.jpeg
    212.5 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Welcome to TFP.

• Pool depth - 3'6"-7' - confirm that is minimum water depth and not pool structure depth. Difference is usually about 6" and 3' water depth is too shallow.
  • Florida builders like to install small filters. It ensures they get called to clean the filters a few times a year. Get a larger filter like the C3030.
  • How many gallons in the pool? What size salt cell? We recommend a cell be at least 2X the pool volume Should be a T-15 cell.
  • Talk to your builder about the newer Hayward Omni PL system. It is supposed to have an improved UI over the OmniLogic system.

Reactions: Bradenpool
Hi! have you thought about flipping the spa and shelf? that would put the spa off to the side and not block much of the view to see into the pool. And put the shelf so after sunning on the shelf you can just walk over to the stairs and get in (that is if you are not just gonna jump in from the shelf. :giggle: I love all the different levels you have in and around the pool!

Welcome to TFP.

• Pool depth - 3'6"-7' - confirm that is minimum water depth and not pool structure depth. Difference is usually about 6" and 3' water depth is too shallow.
  • Florida builders like to install small filters. It ensures they get called to clean the filters a few times a year. Get a larger filter like the C3030.
  • How many gallons in the pool? What size salt cell? We recommend a cell be at least 2X the pool volume Should be a T-15 cell.
  • Talk to your builder about the newer Hayward Omni PL system. It is supposed to have an improved UI over the OmniLogic system.
These are great questions which I wouldn’t have thought to ask so thank you very much! I did ask about how the depth is measured and they said from the pool floor to the top of the waterline tile. Do you think we should make it 4’? Our kids are 8 and 10 so not worry about them touching.

These are great questions which I wouldn’t have thought to ask so thank you very much! I did ask about how the depth is measured and they said from the pool floor to the top of the waterline tile. Do you think we should make it 4’? Our kids are 8 and 10 so not worry about them touching.

The waterline is never at the top of the waterline tile. 4' would be better.

Hi! have you thought about flipping the spa and shelf? that would put the spa off to the side and not block much of the view to see into the pool. And put the shelf so after sunning on the shelf you can just walk over to the stairs and get in (that is if you are not just gonna jump in from the shelf. :giggle: I love all the different levels you have in and around the pool!
I hadn’t thought of that! You guys are good!

Hi! another thing, it says your shelf water depth is 6.5" That is very shallow (some do prefer this). There have been a LOT of discussion on here about depth of the shelf. Mine is 14", it was just finished, so haven't been in there very much at all, way too cold 🥶, but i am glad I got a deeper shelf. Many on here are between 9"-12" water depth. If you search on here for "shelf depth" you might be able to see the posts. You could make it the same depth of your second step.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi! another thing, it says your shelf water depth is 6.5" That is very shallow (some do prefer this). There have been a LOT of discussion on here about depth of the shelf. Mine is 14", it was just finished, so haven't been in there very much at all, way too cold 🥶, but i am glad I got a deeper shelf. Many on here are between 9"-12" water depth. If you search on here for "shelf depth" you might be able to see the posts. You could make it the same depth of your second step.
Hadn’t even noticed that...or given it much thought. I will do a search on here and read the comments. Good eye!

Reactions: TexasRain
Are there any views from inside your house that you want or need to accent? In my house, when you walk in the front door, you will see all the way through to the pool, I wanted to have some features there... you obviously have a natural view, but it may be worth thinking about... you have a step down from the deck to the pool, you might consider having the spa level with the upper deck. Are there kids in the mix here? That step around the pool could be a concern with little ones running around, I like the variation it brings, but could see my clumsy kiddos tripping over it.

Which direction does your house face? You may want to consider shade in the area of the outdoor kitchen... likely that is an afternoon area to cook, if the sun is beating down on you in july, it may deter you from using that space fully.

Not sure how I would do it, but the steps take up a good bit of real estate, may not be an issue, but you might want to consider reducing the size.

Looks beautiful and that view will be awesome lounging in that pool, congrats!

Are there any views from inside your house that you want or need to accent? In my house, when you walk in the front door, you will see all the way through to the pool, I wanted to have some features there... you obviously have a natural view, but it may be worth thinking about... you have a step down from the deck to the pool, you might consider having the spa level with the upper deck. Are there kids in the mix here? That step around the pool could be a concern with little ones running around, I like the variation it brings, but could see my clumsy kiddos tripping over it.

Which direction does your house face? You may want to consider shade in the area of the outdoor kitchen... likely that is an afternoon area to cook, if the sun is beating down on you in july, it may deter you from using that space fully.

Not sure how I would do it, but the steps take up a good bit of real estate, may not be an issue, but you might want to consider reducing the size.

Looks beautiful and that view will be awesome lounging in that pool, congrats!
These are all great points! That whole area where the built in kitchen will be (and a sitting area) will have a peaked roofed. We are working with an architect to get that drawn up.

Reactions: OrlandoBull
Welcome to TFP.

Also, I read somewhere on here that you should have a return by benches. Do you think we should have a return by the long bench?

Also, I read somewhere on here that you should have a return by benches. Do you think we should have a return by the long bench?

I don't think it makes a big difference. Some people think the return will keep dirt from settling on the bench. A quick wipe with your pool brush will get anything that settles on the bench off. You likely should be brushing the pool more often anyway. So seeing some dirt sitting on the bench is good.

I don't think it makes a big difference. Some people think the return will keep dirt from settling on the bench. A quick wipe with your pool brush will get anything that settles on the bench off. You likely should be brushing the pool more often anyway. So seeing some dirt sitting on the bench is good.
Good to hear. Not going to worry about it then. I have enough other things to fuss over, lol!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.