Jet fitting cracked inside the thread and I can't get it out.

Jun 14, 2014
Massachusetts
Hi,

When I was trying to open my pool this year, when I started to tighten the jet fitting it cracked. Now, there isn't enough of it left to twist (to unscrew it), but the bottom part is still inside. I saw a Youtube video saying there was a special tool to put into the hole that would help me unscrew the remains of the broken jet fitting. Does anyone know the name of the tool? Can I order it online? Also, does anyone know how difficult/risky this is to do on your own vs how much it would be to have a pool professional do it? And if I can't get it out, could I just run my pool without a jet fitting (yes I know the water wouldn't shoot out very hard).

Thanks

The tool is called a pipe nipple extractor. There are different types, but this is commonly used for irrigation systems. What's the diameter of the fitting?

I'm sure @1poolman1 has some tips on how to remove it. I've used the handle side of channel lock pliers to extract larger broken pipes.

I have actually used the "putty knife" method to remove a broken fitting. You would need to grind a slight taper to the blade so that it would wedge into the broken fitting. Since the pipe that the return fitting is screwed into is, most likely, 1.5" inside diameter, you would need a 2" putty knife. And, get a stiff blade, not a soft one. I kept one on my truck to remove broken Polaris fittings until it got lost sometime ago. You can look up PoolTools #181 for a tool made for this purpose, but if the slots are broken out it is usually too small to grip the sides of the broken fitting.

You can also use a small flat-blade screwdriver and carefully tap it in with a hammer between the broken fitting and pipe (firm hits, but not like driving a nail). Angle it toward the center of the pipe to avoid as much damage to the threads as you can, though we don't worry about leaks. You just break the part into smaller pieces and remove them.

You can take a hacksaw blade and cut 3 or 4 grooves into the broken part and then use a screwdriver to pry the pieces out. Still, not worrying too much about the threads, just don't go too deep. Remember to have the teeth angled away from the wall so you cut on the pull stroke.
I've use all these methods at one time or another.

A "large nipple extractor is available (Home Depot has them listed). You could try that, but they are rather pricy for a one-time repair.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.