moore887

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
In The Industry
Aug 14, 2018
CAPE CORAL
Hi all,

My salt cell is showing increasing amounts of calcium build up. We do run our pool quite warm so it's to be expected.

I can't find any instructions to clean it. Does the cell just unscrew off? Should I shut the system down at the breaker first? I want to avoid using MA to cleaning it but if it has to be done, so be it.

I'm thinking of adding borates to reduce the build up and probably reduce the amount of acid I'm using to keep the pH down. Thoughts?

We have a self cleaning unit so my buildup is almost none but they did give me a wooden stick (think paint stirrer) for knocking any buildup off the plates. I would start with that. I clean ours when we close the pool and I have everything unhooked. Our canister just unscrews and the plates slide out.

Reactions: moore887
I'm thinking of adding borates to reduce the build up and probably reduce the amount of acid I'm using to keep the pH down. Thoughts?

It's been stated on these forums that borates don't reduce the amount of acid required. They just reduce the frequency of adding acid because the pH rise is slower. For example, at the end of a month, you will still have added the same total amount of acid with or without borates in the water.

If you run a practice scenario in Pool Math, you'll see that a much larger amount of acid is required to lower the pH by the same amount when there are borates in the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.