JimFinn

Sep 1, 2022
Hammond, Louisiana
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Fired up my heat pump for the first time in 6 months. Before that I had to replace the digital control screen bc the sun burned it out.

Anyway, it worked like a charm. Heated up the spa faster than I’ve ever seen, 71-101 degrees in 5 hours. That’s when the problem started. It wouldn’t maintain heat. It hit 101 and began to drop. No hot water came out of the jets, the heater clearly wasn’t heating anymore. The fan was running, and the digital screen was correct. Any thoughts?

Often a HP or AC failure is caused by a bad capacitor that powers the compressor.

You can check if the compressor is starting using a clamp on ampmeter. If the compressor runs you will see a large increase in the amps when it goes on.

Be careful handling a capacitor as it can store a high voltage and give a shock. There are lots of articles on the net and YouTube videos about handling and replacing capacitors in a Heat Pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.