Jandy salt water generator

Rene M

Jul 5, 2019
Philly, PA
New to the forum so please bear with me -

Suddenly having trouble with my salt generator. Was checking the salt level at the box and noticed it showed in reverse but also said “no flow”. Was fine for days then the remote showed “no flow” a couple of times then would be fine. I noticed tonight the control box was beeping so took a look. It says “service” and service code 170.

I read other (old posts) and many spoke of troubleshooting manuals but I am unable to locate one. A post did have a link but it seems to be removed or broken because it will not open.

Can anyone help me locate a troubleshooting manual for a Jandy salt generator?

Trisensor plug connects to a small circuit board which in turn plugs in the board. I disconnected the small board from the board first and got a Jo code. I then disconnected the trisensor from the small board and reinstalled that to the large board and again got the code Jo (seems to mean it is in service or time out mode)

With the sensor disconnected reads normal and says cell reversing initially - after a few mins says service with error codes 172 182 185 186

I then shut system down, recounted the cable and restarted. Initially looked ok but doesn’t show cell on. Can’t get a salinity reading and pool temp reads HH. After a few mins says service and then error codes 172 185 186

Never seems to show cell on at all only cell reversing initially at start up

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think that the trisensor is probably bad. Do the tests from the guide to confirm.

Disconnect the flow salinity temp sensor from the front board. Press and hold the test buttons marked salinity and R-temp. While still pressing the test buttons press the ‘Salinity’ key (‘C’) on the front cover of the unit. The LCD should read 2.8 gpl*.

While still holding the two front board test buttons press the ‘Pool Temperature’ key (‘D’). It should read 75° F or 24° C.

Next, press and hold the board ‘H-Temp’ test button, and at the same time press the ‘Salinity’ key (‘C’) together with the ‘Chlorine Production Rate’ arrow down key (‘A’) on the front cover of the unit. The LCD should read 91° F or 33° C .

If the readings are correct then the front board is O.K. and the problem is with the flow sensor.

If you need a new trisensor, I would get the PLC1400 kit with the cell, trisensor and cord.

Well the board I have is different but I did locate the test buttons on the one I have. I did the tests as suggested in your last post. The gpl is 3.4, the pool temp is 74 and the H temp is 90. Those seem to be in range. Seems as if the gpl is higher but think is that normally, although my memory is failing these days. I was unable to to the voltage test as I am unable to correlate your test points with the board that I have

Thanks for your help JamesW. Was about to order the PLC1400 kit now things have changed.

I was able to access the salt generator panel before it showed the service codes. Decided to turn the production to zero and use tabs or liquid to keep the chlorine up until repaired. Now when I power it up it immediately displays the code and I am unable to change production rate on the panel nor by the PDA remote. Actually had hard time even getting remote to connect. I reset the channel (finally) but now even though it is in service mode it seems to think it is connected.. shows I can turn pool on/off although never really starts pump just seems to think so. Salt generator, spa light etc do not show in the menu on the PDA.

Remote now just says “connecting”, then finally “connected”, eventually “waiting” and just seems to be stuck there.. as it did before I changed the frequency yesterday.. about ready to give it all up.

I you do have a suggestion on how to turn the salt generator off/production to zero in this instance I would appreciate that.. other than disconnecting from the main panel if there is a way

You can disconnect the 4 wire communication wire from the aquapure side or the automation side.

I suspect that everything would probably work if you replaced the trisensor and cell.

Do you have a picture of everything?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.