Jandy RS8 Aux Button Issues

eMac35

Gold Supporter
Jun 2, 2021
Austin TX
Hey folks! I am new to the site. My RS8 aux button controlling my landscape lights works randomly. When I push the button, landscape lights flash briefly. If I keep pushing the aux button, once in awhile the lights will stay on. Sometimes I need to push 25+ times before the lights stay on. I am guessing it is a relay issue, but need to confirm, and then determine if I can repair myself.

Thanks very much for this info! Do you know of a guide or video that walks thru the repair process?

It is super simply to replace relays. You literally swap one for another. Just make sure the appropriate breaker is turned off before you start. Here is a video I made for adding a OneTouch. It shows the inside of the box. Those 5 rectangular boxes above the breakers are the relays. Trace the thin wire from the relay to the Aqualink board to make sure you are targeting the right aux port.

Thanks PoolGate!! This is super helpful. Is it safe to assume Aux 6 and Aux 7 would be the same voltage (DC 110)?

Aqualink aux ports put out low voltage which just energizes the relay. The relay connects the input and output sides of itself.

I looked at the Omron replacement relays on Amazon, which according to the reviews are the same as the original relays in the AquaLinks. There are different models based on voltage. I am seeing 230-240, 220 and 110. Any way to tell in advance which model is needed for the Aux buttons? If not, I guess I need to swap out the relay and if the lights work, pull out the bad relay and look for a model or part number?

I would have swapped the relays, not the AUX ports. I doubt anything is wrong with the aux ports but possibly the relay is bad. I mean like move the wires from the existing relay to another relay. And for the low voltage transformer, doesn't that have a light sensor in it? For mine, I turn it on with my Aqualink, it briefly flashes when it gets power, it then reverts to its internal light sensor and usually comes on like 1/2 an hour after my controller tells it to.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was going to move the wires, but thought just swapping out the harness end would accomplish the same. I will try the wire swap. My low voltage transformer doesn't have a light sensor, so the lights come on instantly when powered up.

I was going to move the wires, but thought just swapping out the harness end would accomplish the same. I will try the wire swap. My low voltage transformer doesn't have a light sensor, so the lights come on instantly when powered up.

What if you just plug that transformer into an outlet that is always on? If you have a multimeter, the transformer should be getting 120 volts when you turn on the aux port. And are you sure about the light sensor? What model is it?

Duh. I just realized that by moving the harnesses I proved the board is fine. I will swap the wires to the relay. I am positive on the light sensor. I can run an extension cord to the transformer, but I really don't think that is the issue since the lights flash briefly when i turn on the aux port. If i keep pushing the button sometimes the lights will come, and other times not. Here is the transformer model Lightkiwi W9715 300 Watt (12V-13V-14V-15V) Multi-Tap Low Voltage Transformer for Landscape Lighting

Reactions: PoolGate
Tried swapping the relays. The harness screw on the Aux 7 relay was seized to the relay and stripped, so i had to pullout the connection to get harness free. Ending up breaking. Ordered a new relay which should arrive by Sunday.

Tried swapping the relays. The harness screw on the Aux 7 relay was seized to the relay and stripped, so i had to pullout the connection to get harness free. Ending up breaking. Ordered a new relay which should arrive by Sunday.

Check for connected, but unused relays. For my system, they wired a relay to each JVA even though a JVA does not use or need a relay. Each of these relays was installed in my box and could be used for something else (I used one to control a 120 volt outlet). Note there is nothing on the 4 terminals which means the relay is not in use. You can see one relay in the below pic that is not in use.

1622727096433.png

Mine are all wired for use. Though I am not planning to use my heater any longer, and have bypassed the water flow to the unit. Could I rewire the heater relay for the aux 7 use?

You could disconnect the wires and cap them off just make sure you kill the circuit as well.

I am going to give that a go once the weather is willing to cooperate. Thanks again for all of your insights!! I have been waiting for 4 months to get into my pool repair service's queue. The February freeze and power outages here caused a ton of damage to many pools. The reason I am trying to fix this myself.

Reactions: PoolGate
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.