Jandy Lights Cycle each time to get to new color

Apr 13, 2017
Little Elm Texas
*I did do a search on this FYI*

So I have two Jandy WaterColor LEDs.

I am using the iaqualink, as well as the web version.

I may not be understanding this correctly, and thus doing it wrong. I thought per the instructions that if I choose a color, shut off the lights for 7 seconds, turn back on, it will default to that color?
Right now, no matter what I do, when I turn on the lights, it starts at the beginning and cycles to that color I chose. if I choose a different color, it again starts over and cycles till it gets to that color.

Is this by design? Will it not just change to, just using this for example, if I have it on green, and I choose blue, it will just switch to blue? It wont go through white, orange, yellow, green, then blue?

The other thing I am noticing is that when I do turn on the lights, it will start at the last one used for a second, then cycle through till it gets to that color again.

Can this system not just switch to a new color without cycling?
Can this system not turn on and default to the last color used, and just stay there without cycling?

Someone with more light knowledge can explain it better bit most pool lights behave this way. You are essentially sending it a command every time you turn the light on and then off again.

I have Jandy automation and wondered about this as well. Since you only send power to the light. I guess the engineers figured this was the most efficient and maybe at the time easiest way of getting the lights to change color.

Someone with more light knowledge can explain it better bit most pool lights behave this way. You are essentially sending it a command every time you turn the light on and then off again.

I have Jandy automation and wondered about this as well. Since you only send power to the light. I guess the engineers figured this was the most efficient and maybe at the time easiest way of getting the lights to change color.

So, then what I am seeing is by design? You can't change this, correct?

lol - yes pool technology is VERY antiquated! When these lights are connected to a regular switch, the way the color changes work is you turn the switch off and on until the color/mode you want come up. Well nothing really changes when automation is attached. The way it works is it simply turns on and off the relay, which turns the light on and off until what you want comes up. The good thing about automation is you can select the exact color you want and the automation will turn the light on/off what it takes to get there.

Can this system not just switch to a new color without cycling?
Can this system not turn on and default to the last color used, and just stay there without cycling?

There's no way to go directly from one color to another. However, I did find a solution to the cycling every time they turn on. It was really bothering me and I also had the feeling that switching on/off so many times was causing unnecessary wear. The way I solved it was by changing the light type in the system set-up. Rather than having them designated as Jandy Watercolors LED, set it to the basic Jandy lights. Then, whatever the last color you have it set on is exactly what it will turn back on to without cycling. The only downside is that when you want to change colors again, the app doesn't show you the array of colors and let you select a specific one and have it automatically cycle however many times until it gets to the chosen color. Instead, you just have to turn them on/off and cycle yourself until you get to the color you want. Still a far better option, in my opinion, than having the lights cycle from scratch every time they turn on. Dumb, antiquated design.

-Chad

Reactions: Aspec and Jerz
Same here with iAquaLink and LED hydrocool. I understand the cycling to get to a color...but the automation already remembers the last selected color (e.g., i keep mine on blue often)...Therefore, the programming when powering on should be something as simple as "IF same color, THEN relay on once" "IF new color, THEN cycle X times". Seems like a simple update that could be implemented, and I agree with a previous post, I think the frequent on/off cycling likely contributed to wear of the diodes. I submitted this request in the iaqualink app but received no response from Jandy/Flurida.

I experience the same behavior. This is a result of poorly written code in the automation system. I called Jandy but they not only don't care or consider customer feedback but they don't understand the concept of what a software bug is or how an oversight in the development process could occur. The program could easily be written to only cycle the relay once if you just want to turn the light on and return to the last known state but Jandy will never have an incentive to write good code as long as we keep buying their products and accept them for what they are.

....and it still appears to function this way... how annoying. I also have the issue where the pool spa and sheer decent lights come on every time I turn on the pool lights even though I have three pool lights on one relay, spa light on another, center sheer decent on another and the left and right sheer decent led's on a fourth relay. Seems whenever I turn on pool lights they all flash to the selected color but I can then turn off both sheer decent relays. Also.... if we're in the hot tub and turn off the spa light (leaving pool lights on) when we turn the spa light back on they all flash until they're at the same color again..... Super annoying.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.