Jandy JXI heater transformer issues after surge / short repair

Not to hi-jack the thread, but what is the problem with the filter pump and heater being on the same circuit? I didn't build my pool, but it's been wired this way for +20 years. A gas heater doesn't draw much power so what's the problem?

@setsailsoon , This is all REALLY good information. I went back and read your story and repair process. Feeling inspired, I'm on a mission now! Quick question. I'm going to run a new 120v circuit to the heater and pull new wire through and everything. Would a standard 15amp breaker work at the panel? I can't find any details on the amperage required for 120v setup. Why do they default these things to 240v, is that slightly more efficient or something? If it blows the transformer after this, I agree, it's the Fenwal or the PIB. At least the Transformers are cheap after going to 120v. Really appreciate you taking the time to help me out on this! Going to 120v was not on my list, and I'm not seeing any downside to it. Great idea

-Chris

Chris,

Glad to hear somebody can get some help from the misery I went through. I would think 15 amps is plenty. As I recall the motor is is only a couple amps and the rest is trivial. I'm sure the reason they have it set to 240 is that 240 is required for most pump motors so 240 is readily available. Also a lot of above ground pools use 120 v. So it just lets them sell the heater to both markets without having to carry two versions. The fan is such a low power level that it really can't be that much more efficient at 240 v.

Fingers crossed for you and I'm sure everybody reading this thread is pulling for you.

Good luck to you and please continue to keep us posted!

Chris

Not to hi-jack the thread, but what is the problem with the filter pump and heater being on the same circuit? I didn't build my pool, but it's been wired this way for +20 years. A gas heater doesn't draw much power so what's the problem?
I believe the code now requires a dedicated GFI breaker for pool pumps but I'll ask @ajw22 to comment on this. He's very knowledgeable about electrical code.

Chris

Wired that way after 20 years you are grandfathered from current codes.

Current codes require the pump to be on a dedicated GFCI circuit.

How much amps a gas heater draws depends on the heater. And many high HP pump amp requirements are close to maxing a CB out. So it depends on the specifics.

Thanks Allen, this is just a straight Jandy gas heater. Less than 5 amps.

Here is a hypothetical situation. CB is 20 amps. You should only load up a CB to 80% of its rating. That is 16 amps. Pump takes 12 amps at max speed. A 5 amp load takes the circuit to more then its approved capacity.

Most pumps leave little amp load for other devices on the same breaker.

You really have to do an electrical load analysis to say if multiple devices will work on the same circuit. Especially when one is a high current device like a pump motor.

Allen,

Sorry. I got the posts crossed. The original post was from Chrisleeotten and he was asking about a gas heater only on a 15 amp breaker after converting to 120 v.

Chris

Update:
Ran a new 120va circuit, fuse, blower capacitor, transformer and it would run but not fire. I’m assuming that used Fenwal must have cooked on the last meltdown or it’s just a bad unit. It’s “used” from amazon so returning that. I’m thinking I need a new fenwal and just bite the bullet and get a new main board as well. Not sure if the main board is even the issue but it’s suspect and I’m not wanting to lose another fenwal. Ugh :-(

The really annoying part “I Wish I had recorded it”. I think I saw a flash when the fenwal tried to fire from behind the boards access tray. So from the transformer... It’s still working but I swear I saw a flash from back there when the startup process started. Maybe I imagined that... I dunno.

Chris,

You did flip the voltage selector board to 120 v position on the power distribution board, right?

It could certainly make sense that the electrical event that fried the bug on your CB also fried the board. In my lightning strike the CB and Fenwal were fried immediately. The board had burn marks on it and the Fenwal did not flash the start up light. Are you swinging out the raceway when you're working on the electrical? Makes access much easier. There's a button that releases it and then it swings out and locks in a position parallel to the ground. You unlock it by releasing a catch at the opposite end of the raceway. Should be easy to see the start up flash this way. Are you getting any shut down flashes?

I got my Fenwal from parts4heating.com and they work, plus Fenwal lists them as an authorized distributor. The parts they sell are new.

Chris

@setsailsoon
Yea, I flipped the board to the 120va position. Been working on things with the tray in the up position. That flash I was thinking I saw appeared to come from behind possibly from the transformer. Hopefully I’m just imagining that but like you said. At least I can use cheap transformers from this point out. Will be ordering both boards brand new so I’ll report back once those arrive. Blower and everything else sounded good during start up, just no ignition. Really annoying that the heater design does not protect the Fenwal more. I also confirmed that the Fenwal does have 120v coming in all the correct spots.
I agree, It may have been the cooked slug all along that caused all of this. From this point I’m thinking that I may leave that breaker flipped off while not in use to prevent a bug from cooking the unit while just sitting there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@setsailsoon
I come back with great news! I took your advice and replaced that Fenwal with a new one from the site you mentioned. I also picked up a brand new main board off amazon. Installed both of them and it didn’t fire up. I was crushed.. but I followed the trouble shooting guide again step by step and turns out the igniter must has been that “flash” I saw on the last failed attempt. I pulled the igniter and it was destroyed. Ordered an igniter and just installed that. The heater fired right up! We are now back in business!!!! Huge thanks man! Total repair was around $800 but that beats buying a new one. Now that’s it’s on its own breaker I may just leave power off to the unit when it’s not in use. Just seems to be a huge slug/critter risk to have it powered up 24/7. Heating the pool for a party as I type this. Thanks again!

I’ll never know if it was the used Fenwal or the main board but I’ll sleep well knowing it’s all been replaced. I’m betting that cooked slug was no coincidence though.

This site rocks! Hopefully this post will help another guy down the road.

Reactions: setsailsoon
Chris,

That's great and thanks so much for the follow up. Every time we get more and more information. Now I'll know to always ask people to double-check the igniter before ordering parts. I think it's likely that both the board and Fenwal were bad in your case thorough.

Good luck!

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.