Jandy JVA 2444 only turning one way [SOLVED]

dukegrad

Apr 22, 2019
Charlotte Area
I didn't see any other threads on this topic so I figured I'd share my experience on solving a JVA (model 2444) issue on my Jandy iAqualink system.

Situation...
I have a combo pool/spa with the spillover feature, along with Jandy iAqualink automation. Every so often, the spillover would dribble after the scheduled spillover run time. I thought maybe the cams were out of calibration or that the JVA switch was kicked or some other excuse. I never bothered to pinpoint the issue as it was infrequent and usually 'fixed' itself on the next cycle or so. Tonight, it did it again and refused to 'fix' itself. No matter what I tried, whether through iAqualink or manually toggling JVA switches, it would not rotate the right direction for normal / non-spillover mode. BUT if I manually rotated the valve to the normal mode (loosen knob, push down and turn), the automation would always take it into spillover mode when engaged (as it should). Hmmm....

Troubleshooting & Root Cause...
I disassembled the JVA and confirmed cams were set correctly, not loose, etc.
Checked voltages from the controller to JVA input terminal when spillover was on/off - this also tested good.
Turned off pool power, unplugged the JVA microswitches and tested their continuity (cam engagement switches them from closed to open). Also good.
Turned on power and continued checking various things... then I happened to press on the plug from the PCB to the motor and BAM! - the valve started rotating! As it turns out, the plug from the PCB to the motor was not making good contact. Cleaned it all up and back in business - at least for now. If there is corrosion still in the plug and it happens again, I may finally be due for a replacement.

When you remove the cover to the JVA 2444, you'll see something like this... red arrow points to the connector in question.
1617840615003.png

PS: if you're wondering why there was a shift from spillover to dribble-over if the valve wasn't turning... I installed a new variable speed ePump last year, and it's programmed to rev up on spillover (for a nice uniform flow) and rev down when in normal pool mode (energy savings). Hence going from flow to dribble with no valve turn.

I hope this helps someone else and I'm able to give back just a little to this community I have learned so much from!

-e

I didn't see any other threads on this topic so I figured I'd share my experience on solving a JVA (model 2444) issue on my Jandy iAqualink system.

Situation...
I have a combo pool/spa with the spillover feature, along with Jandy iAqualink automation. Every so often, the spillover would dribble after the scheduled spillover run time. I thought maybe the cams were out of calibration or that the JVA switch was kicked or some other excuse. I never bothered to pinpoint the issue as it was infrequent and usually 'fixed' itself on the next cycle or so. Tonight, it did it again and refused to 'fix' itself. No matter what I tried, whether through iAqualink or manually toggling JVA switches, it would not rotate the right direction for normal / non-spillover mode. BUT if I manually rotated the valve to the normal mode (loosen knob, push down and turn), the automation would always take it into spillover mode when engaged (as it should). Hmmm....

Troubleshooting & Root Cause...
I disassembled the JVA and confirmed cams were set correctly, not loose, etc.
Checked voltages from the controller to JVA input terminal when spillover was on/off - this also tested good.
Turned off pool power, unplugged the JVA microswitches and tested their continuity (cam engagement switches them from closed to open). Also good.
Turned on power and continued checking various things... then I happened to press on the plug from the PCB to the motor and BAM! - the valve started rotating! As it turns out, the plug from the PCB to the motor was not making good contact. Cleaned it all up and back in business - at least for now. If there is corrosion still in the plug and it happens again, I may finally be due for a replacement.

When you remove the cover to the JVA 2444, you'll see something like this... red arrow points to the connector in question.
View attachment 320861

PS: if you're wondering why there was a shift from spillover to dribble-over if the valve wasn't turning... I installed a new variable speed ePump last year, and it's programmed to rev up on spillover (for a nice uniform flow) and rev down when in normal pool mode (energy savings). Hence going from flow to dribble with no valve turn.

I hope this helps someone else and I'm able to give back just a little to this community I have learned so much from!

This was the issue with mine. Just reseated plug. All good now. Appreciate the post. You saved me money and time!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.