Jandy JRT Series Heat Pump and Aqualink RS

claudej

Apr 8, 2023
Orlando, FL
We just got our pool finished and I am having an odd problem with the heater and the automation system. The heater was working fine for the pool and the spa as it is combo system one heater for both. all works fine for a while and then. Was heating pool and working fine then switched to spa mode and it heated and worked fine. Went back to pool mode and then was told "they" were not done with spa yet so i flipped it back to spa mode and the automation could not controll the heater anymore. If i turn of the power to the aqualink rs and the heater for 5 minutes and then back on it seems to stat working again through the automation. heater is hooked up with RS485 connection. Have checked all wires at for RS485 at the heater and at the aqualink rs and all in place and not lose. RS485 on aqualink rs is shared with pump as you will see two connections in picture the other RS485 is used for wifi. I have also heard various things like if you use RS485 you do not have to set remote mode to tstat, you do not need a thermostat hooked to the Aqualink RS with this model heater. Not sure at this point exactly what else to check as i can use the heater in manual mode just fine. Heater does have a 5 minute delay on it not sure if that is messing up the automation when it is switched from pool to spa to quickly??? Please help not much at all for help online that i can find and the manual for the heater just says to hook up the four wires to the RS485 on the heater and aqualink and then power off and back on the heater and it goes into remote mode. Also my Aqualink RS is revt.2g. My software also sees all my RS485 devices: epump, wifi, and heat pump and no errors shown.

Attachments

• Photo Apr 08 2023, 10 32 52 AM.jpg
    Photo Apr 08 2023, 10 32 52 AM.jpg
    373.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Photo Apr 08 2023, 10 32 59 AM.jpg
    Photo Apr 08 2023, 10 32 59 AM.jpg
    530.3 KB · Views: 14
I am not familiar with the Jandy new heater but most heaters go into a delay mode to cool down once you switch from pool to spa or visa versa. That may be causing the issue. Also, do you have the setting set to turn off pump when you change modes? That is on the system settings screen on iAquaLink. That may also be a contributing factor as no flow will cause the delay.

The Jandy automation is finicky so just try different things. You may want to turn the heater off before moving between the 2 modes.

Having 2 devices connected to the same RED connector is fine on the PCB so that is not the issue.

Yea I have it set to turn off the pump before switching modes but funny now that you mention it I believe the times I see it happen it is jot turning off the pump it will randomly switch without turning the pump off. Today it happened again I turned off the pier to the control board and heater for 10 minutes turned board back on let it boot then turned heater on it says remote mode but AquaLink can turn heater on

Remote mode won’t work if the heater has a fault. I normally have a cover on my heater and have the gas valve turned off as I only use the heater for the spa. When I want to use the heater I’ll pull the cover off, open the external gas shutoff valve, and turn on the heater via the Jandy automation.

There have been a few times when I forgot to turn the gas valve back on after removing the cover and the heater tries to start but ends up with an AGS error due to no gas supply.

To recover from this I have to take the heater out of remote mode and put it back in remote mode to recover. While the heater still says remote mode the Jandy system won’t control the heater after the error, even after the gas valve is back on.

You might be getting an over temp error if you are interrupting the cool down cycle by switching modes, especially if the pump motor is shutting off when the valves turn.

The system shouldn’t let you switch modes while it’s in cool down mode. By going into service mode at the panel you are defeating the cool down mode.

I suspect the heater might throw an error (overtemp maybe) when the pump turns off prematurely.

That will cause the remote mode to not work until reset.

Reactions: HermanTX
It forces cool down before switching. Now even after reset and power cycle I cannot get automation to control it at all. But I can use it manually. Again it says jandy remote mode on the display but remote automation cannot do anything. But yes it forces cooldown before it will flip the valves from spa to pool. After that it changes the valves to pool. If at that time I flip back to spa mode it breaks the automation. Again now it is totally broken from automation even after turning the breaker off and waiting 5 minutes to turn it back on nothing is letting the automation control it.

I would switch off all main power. Disconnect the RS485 cable for the heater. Turn on the system. Ensure that is functional. switch between Spa and Pool mode, turn on cleaner or some other function. If all is working. Cut all power to system again and install the RS485 heater cable. Go through any setup as you did initially.

Last edited:
Well nothing has worked. I got the 485 expansion board and put in the Aqualink pump works fine on any 485 connection heater does not. Ran a new cable to heater still nothing. I feel like a dip switch or a setting in the heater is off. I did not do initial install electrician for pool company did but he is no help he just says turn the power off and back on should just work it did for him.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.