Jandy IQPUMP01 Controller - Freeze Protection Question

carpie99

Aug 10, 2021
Tega Cay, SC
Does anybody with a Jandy IQPUMP01 Controller understand how the freeze protection works on the the VS Pump?

Is there a temperature sensor on the controller that automatically turns it on the freeze protection? Anybody know what the temperature setting is? I understand how to set the speed and duration in the app. Do you know how often it will come on (meaning will it just recycle the duration if it is still a freezing temperature when the freeze protection cycle duration finishes)?

I am so nervous because I don't understand how it works that I am considering just running it 24 hours a day so I don't forget during a cold snap.

Thanks

@C3Cl3N3O3 (I saw your old post)

How do you control your pump? Via app? There is a freeze protection section to set it all up. By default I think it comes on at 35 and stays on until the temp is above. It uses the pools main temp sensor in AQUALINK. If you are running it standalone i assume it has a built-in temp probe. You can also choose other components to include in the freeze protection program like automated valves for water features.

1641941147445.png

How do you control your pump? Via app? There is a freeze protection section to set it all up. By default I think it comes on at 35 and stays on until the temp is above. It uses the pools main temp sensor in AQUALINK. If you are running it standalone i assume it has a built-in temp probe. You can also choose other components to include in the freeze protection program like automated valves for water features.

View attachment 387565
There is no web interface for the iqPUMP01 I don't think ... I couldn't access anything when I typed in webtouch.iaqualink.net

This is what the screen on the app looks like where I can only set the duration and speed of the freeze protect. No information on temperature

1641944024997.png

Nothing to say the temp? Sorry I am not experienced with this interface. But the pump should remain running throughout the freeze period, even if that is forever. Speed is largely unimportant any water movement will prevent freezing (to a certain extent). Do you have the pump manual?

Nothing to say the temp? Sorry I am not experienced with this interface. But the pump should remain running throughout the freeze period, even if that is forever. Speed is largely unimportant any water movement will prevent freezing (to a certain extent). Do you have the pump manual?
nothing in the pump manual about freezing ... and strangely there is no manual for the controller. I had it running overnight ... and still it overrode my schedule to run freeze protection so apparently it works.

I just hate not understanding how

I'll take a shot at this based on what I know about a Vgreen 165 pump motor. Most of the variable speed pump motors are all made by Century, Regal, Regal Beloit, Regal Rexnord; this is all the same company they just keep changing their name.

The Vgreen 165 is a separate pump motor sold as a replacement VS motor but it is physically identical to the motor used on a version of the Jandy FloPro VS 1.65 hp pump. By reprogramming one configuration variable in the motor the Vgreen represents itself as a Jandy Epump to the Aqualink RS automation system.

It is highly probable that your Jandy VS 1.85 pump uses a Century motor with the same internal configuration of the software workings. By extension the way the freeze protection works is likely the same as there is a generic Regal software configuration document that talks about VS pump motors from 0.7 HP to 2.7 HP.

The freeze protection of the Vgreen 165 motor and a version of the Jandy VS 1.65 HP pump is described in the Vgreen manual below:

Vgreen_Freeze_protection.JPG
This manual talks about how it activates but it doesn't talk about the speed that the motor will run during Freeze protection. For that and the freeze configuration variables you need look at that generic Regal document that describes the motor configuration variables. Here is a page from that document that describes the default freeze protection parameters:

Vgreen_freeze_protect_config.JPG

This document indicates that freeze protection is on by default, activates at 39 degrees F, runs for 2 hours before rechecking the temperature, and runs the motor speed at 2600 RPM by default. This document is older from 2018 so some of the defaults may now be different as the 2 hour run time duration doesn't agree with the 1 hour runtime called out in the Vgreen manual.

But that aside there are the four items that configure the freeze protection: on /off, temperature, freeze protection duration, and motor speed. The run duration time is a bit of a misnomer as the pump will run always when its below the freeze temp setting, the run time is how long the motor runs before checking to see if its still below the freeze temp setting.

It looks like the IQPUMP01 interface only gives you access to changing the freeze protection duration.

While your pump motor might be slightly different its still likely a Century motor and will probably behave as outlined above.

I hope this helps,

Mark

Last edited:
Reactions: carpie99
The easiest way to avoid freeze damage is to have your pump running during what are normally the coldest parts of the day, usually somewhere between 2:00 AM and 8:00AM. With a VSP you should be running considerably longer. In my area we have the occasional freeze issues. My VSP has run for at least 14 hours a day, starting at 2:00AM for the 10+ years I have had it. The majority of that time is at lower speeds. While it has built-in freeze protection, I don't have to worry about whether it will work or not. Cost me less than $1.00 a day.
As many here have said, it costs very little to run a variable speed pump 24 hours a day at the lower speeds and is well worth the peace of mind you get from knowing you shouldn't have freeze issues.

The easiest way to avoid freeze damage is to have your pump running during what are normally the coldest parts of the day, usually somewhere between 2:00 AM and 8:00AM. With a VSP you should be running considerably longer. In my area we have the occasional freeze issues. My VSP has run for at least 14 hours a day, starting at 2:00AM for the 10+ years I have had it. The majority of that time is at lower speeds. While it has built-in freeze protection, I don't have to worry about whether it will work or not. Cost me less than $1.00 a day.
As many here have said, it costs very little to run a variable speed pump 24 hours a day at the lower speeds and is well worth the peace of mind you get from knowing you shouldn't have freeze issues.
I am actually running it at 1000 RPM from 5PM to 9AM just to make sure

I am actually running it at 1000 RPM from 5PM to 9AM just to make sure
I know this a year old thread but thought I would share my experience with this. I have a 2.7 jandy vs pump and the iqpump01 controller Installed fall 2022. I was concerned about the freeze protection as we had some really cold( 1* f) temperatures. The freeze protection didn’t come on till it was much colder than I thought it should. I called jandy tech support and told him my concerns and they told me that there is a software update they are working on that will adjust the activation temperature. Apparently the temp sensor is in the motor and the only thing you can control in the app is the duration and rpm. I had programmed my own freeze schedule and it was running when the factory freeze protection finally came on at around 28 degrees. I think the factory protection might have come on at a warmer temp, factory setting of 38, but my pump was warm because it had already been running for hours. I don’t know if the update has been sent yet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.