Jandy epump help troubleshooting and testing

zuehls

May 2, 2020
texas
I have a Jandy variable speed 2.7hp (vsshp270au) victim of Texas weather. I'm trying to diagnose the problem myself. When I attempt to start it from the Aqualink power center control panel (in service mode) I hear the relay click but pump does not make any noise. I do have control over other devices like the booster pump, waterfall pump, spa air pump, electronic valve actuators. In my setup, to actuate the booster pump I have to power the pool pump then the booster pump. Obviously the pool pump does not power on but it enables me to power the booster pump.

Here's what I've done so far:
I've confirmed power to the pump (220v).
Took cover off back of pump and the motor shaft turns freely
Unhooked control wires and power from pump. Removed motor and drive from pump housing. Took drive off motor. Took cover off drive and visually inspected for burn marks and smell for burned odors. I don't see any burned out electronics and no smell of burned parts.

I still think the problem is with the drive or motor since the other 'stuff' controlled by the power center control panel is operative.

Is there a way to test the control (rs485?) signals are getting to the drive using a multimeter?
Is there a way to test the actual motor while bypassing the drive? The connector between the motor and the drive is a 4 prong connector. Is it possible to test these connectors going out of the drive and to the motor?

thx

Unfortunately Jandy does you no favors with a pump with no control panel and no diagnostics. Jandy also makes little support or diagnostic information available to consumers and wants everyone to go through their dealers. This is the downside of Jandy equipment.

You may already have it but your pump manual is at https://www.jandy.com/-/media/zodiac/global/downloads/h/h0311700.pdf

As page 17 suggest - contact technical support at 800.822.7933.

Zuehle,

I am in Plano, Tx and have the exavt same problem. For me, everything worked aftet the storm (I drained all the pumps, etc when it got cold). However, my filter pump, same one you have, just stopped working a couple days ago. I followed the same basic steps as you, checked power, free rotation etc.

I have heard of people suddenly losing programming, so I am going to double-check that today. I wonder if all the brownouts damaged the aqualink and the rs-485 system is no longer communicating. If you see this, shoot me a PM and maybe we can help eachother out. We seem to be like-minded, I could have written your post myself almost word-for-word.

How about reseating or moving the rs485 cable to a different connector? Do other components on the rs485 bus work?
Yes, the pda link uses the rs485, it is working. I did re-seat all the wires and checked them with a multimeter. I should run a jumper just to be sure.

I checked the programming yesterday, everything is fine. I do have a usb to Rs-485 adapter for my laptop, but I heard Jandy uses a proprietary protocol.

Yes, the pda link uses the rs485, it is working. I did re-seat all the wires and checked them with a multimeter. I should run a jumper just to be sure.

I checked the programming yesterday, everything is fine. I do have a usb to Rs-485 adapter for my laptop, but I heard Jandy uses a proprietary protocol.

RS-485 cable is cheap. Get a new piece for the pump and see. Just a reminder, you can have 2 devices in each RS-485 connector. If you are using a multiplex RS-485 extender, make sure the pump is not on the MUX. There is no requirement for this, but it rules out another failure point.

I have a Jandy variable speed 2.7hp (vsshp270au) victim of Texas weather. I'm trying to diagnose the problem myself. When I attempt to start it from the Aqualink power center control panel (in service mode) I hear the relay click but pump does not make any noise. I do have control over other devices like the booster pump, waterfall pump, spa air pump, electronic valve actuators. In my setup, to actuate the booster pump I have to power the pool pump then the booster pump. Obviously the pool pump does not power on but it enables me to power the booster pump.

Here's what I've done so far:
I've confirmed power to the pump (220v).
Took cover off back of pump and the motor shaft turns freely
Unhooked control wires and power from pump. Removed motor and drive from pump housing. Took drive off motor. Took cover off drive and visually inspected for burn marks and smell for burned odors. I don't see any burned out electronics and no smell of burned parts.

I still think the problem is with the drive or motor since the other 'stuff' controlled by the power center control panel is operative.

Is there a way to test the control (rs485?) signals are getting to the drive using a multimeter?
Is there a way to test the actual motor while bypassing the drive? The connector between the motor and the drive is a 4 prong connector. Is it possible to test these connectors going out of the drive and to the motor?

thx
I had the same problem last week, you need to make a jumper as per the troubleshooting guide from the manual. You can cut about 5-6 inches of the RS-485 cable and open the cover of the pump and remove the existing RS-485 cables. As per the manual jump pins 1 to 3 and 2 to 4 once you finish with the connection turn on the pump, if the pump starts to work then you know there is an issue with the RS-485 connection.

Reactions: dmacha
I am in Prosper. Did you guys ever figure this out? My pump is doing the exact same thing. Just didn't come on today. I have 240V at the pump and 9.8V between the red and green. The Jandy PDA says pump offline. I checked to make sure the impeller spins freely. My PDA will control all the other pumps and features so it is working. I read somewhere to make a jumper between pins 1 and 3 and 2 and 4 on the motor, then turn on the pump and that didn't work either. I am assuming the pump itself is bad at this point but don't know whether it is the pump motor, the variable speed drive or both. Also no stores have Jandy pumps in stock. I want to get this one working if possible but am running out of troubleshooting tips. Also I can get an Intelliflo but would this be considered an upgrade, downgrade or same as the Jandy Stealth epump 2.0HP that I have now?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am in Prosper. Did you guys ever figure this out? My pump is doing the exact same thing. Just didn't come on today. I have 240V at the pump and 9.8V between the red and green. The Jandy PDA says pump offline. I checked to make sure the impeller spins freely. My PDA will control all the other pumps and features so it is working. I read somewhere to make a jumper between pins 1 and 3 and 2 and 4 on the motor, then turn on the pump and that didn't work either. I am assuming the pump itself is bad at this point but don't know whether it is the pump motor, the variable speed drive or both. Also no stores have Jandy pumps in stock. I want to get this one working if possible but am running out of troubleshooting tips. Also I can get an Intelliflo but would this be considered an upgrade, downgrade or same as the Jandy Stealth epump 2.0HP that I have now?
There is a brand-new Jandy VSSHP270AUT pump on FB marketplace for $950. This is the same pump I have. Maybe check it out.

I had the same problem last week, you need to make a jumper as per the troubleshooting guide from the manual. You can cut about 5-6 inches of the RS-485 cable and open the cover of the pump and remove the existing RS-485 cables. As per the manual jump pins 1 to 3 and 2 to 4 once you finish with the connection turn on the pump, if the pump starts to work then you know there is an issue with the RS-485 connection.
What manual did you find that talked about how to jump the pins? I have been looking all day. I want to make sure I do it properly on a VSSHP270AUT. I'm waiting on a new board and CPU but need to get my water running until the controller is fixed.

What manual did you find that talked about how to jump the pins? I have been looking all day. I want to make sure I do it properly on a VSSHP270AUT. I'm waiting on a new board and CPU but need to get my water running until the controller is fixed.
Hello! I am having the same problem and could not find an actual manual reference for jumping the RS485 pins. Did you ever get an answer or resolve your problem. Jandy tech support is no help to the homeowner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.