Jandy Energy Filter

Vs6817

Apr 26, 2020
Tracy, CA
So I just want to confirm something that is probably going to be a super dumb question but I’m just airing on the side of caution so as not to break anything. I have the Jandy Energy Filter shown below and I am trying to open it to clean it out. I’ve never opened it before but by looking at it was assuming the bottom clear body piece would just screw off. I wasn’t able to unscrew it so do I need a special tool to get this thing open or just use more force? Again I was just trying to exercise caution as I want to make sure I open it properly and not damage anything.

6BB878C6-0BD3-4E5D-BF23-B3E5A637F0AC.jpeg

It’s a screw off canister but it’s probably just “locked up” with age. If you’re near a hardware store, go get yourself a strap-wrench. That’s the safest way to apply greater torque without damaging the canister.

There’s an o-ring between the canister and the plastic body so be prepared to possibly replace that as it might fall apart on you from age.

Reactions: Vs6817
Filter Image States to insert a large screwdriver between the tabs on the bottom. Or, use a large pipe wrench. They also make special filter wrenches, but they typically only fit specific sizes/models and you would need the housing to match them.

Reactions: Vs6817
It’s a screw off canister but it’s probably just “locked up” with age. If you’re near a hardware store, go get yourself a strap-wrench. That’s the safest way to apply greater torque without damaging the canister.

There’s an o-ring between the canister and the plastic body so be prepared to possibly replace that as it might fall apart on you from age.
Filter Image States to insert a large screwdriver between the tabs on the bottom. Or, use a large pipe wrench. They also make special filter wrenches, but they typically only fit specific sizes/models and you would need the housing to match them.

Thanks to both of you! I’ll try these recommendations.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.