Jandy cv460 rust on inner band

roth79

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 19, 2009
Happy new year. I have a Jandy cv 460 only 18 months old. Pulled apart today for a cartridge cleaning. The inner band has rust and I’m not sure what I should do. I do have salt system and am concerned about staining the pool. My balance is good as I do it weekly. Should I be concerned? Advise please.

thank you all.

roth79

My Pentair cartridge filter has a bit of rust spots on the inside too. Will happen with any form of pool water. Not enough to cause staining.

Update guys: the below are my latest results
Free Chlorine: 10.
pH: 7.4
Total Alkalinity: 80
Calcium Hardness: 440
CYA: 70
Salt: 3400
Borates: 50
Temperature: 72°F
CSI: -0.41
i had sent pics and e mail to Jandy as it’s less than 16 months old, this is there response this week.

We received the photos that you submitted.
The corrosion on the inside of this filter has been caused by low ph and/or metals in your water. We currently have not or have recently had any quality issues with the stainless materials of the internals of the filter. We will replace the tank ring for you as a customer accomodation, so that we can get your pool up & running. The part will not be covered by any warranty, but it will come directly from factory. We HIGHLY recommend your bring a sample of your water to a local professional water testing facility and request a FULL test with metal data included. Once you receive your test, ensure all aspects are within ASPCA standards (If you have a chlorinator, use the water balance recommendations provided by the manufacturer), and make the appropriate adjustments. If you are using any mineral sanitizers, we would recommend you change that as well. We will not be able to provide any further components for corrosion.
The order number for your retaining ring is 2855502.
You should receive it in the next 3-5 business days. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us!

I need your opinion, Do I need to get this tested somewhere it is it there cop out for substandard stainless on the new filter?

thanks again,

roth79

Attachments

• 81AEDC57-0224-4643-899B-E70299974B25.jpeg
    81AEDC57-0224-4643-899B-E70299974B25.jpeg
    280.6 KB · Views: 14
The corrosion on the inside of this filter has been caused by low ph and/or metals in your water.
Low pH can cause corrosion. Metals in the water cannot cause corrosion.
Once you receive your test, ensure all aspects are within ASPCA standards
The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals seems like an odd choice for pool water chemistry standards?
Free Chlorine: 10.
pH: 7.4
Total Alkalinity: 80
Calcium Hardness: 440
CYA: 70
Salt: 3400
Borates: 50
Temperature: 72°F
CSI: -0.41
They will probably take issue with the FC as they do not recognize the FC/CYA ratio.

You have mixed Pentair, Jandy and Hayward equipment, which seems odd if this is a new build?

No sir, it is usually high PH with the salt system, very rare my readings are usually high, in the low 8s. I usually have to add 1 quart a week or so, with this morning test my ph was 8.0, I will be adding 1 quart 2 cups MA based on the app here. Also its not a new build. My Haward DE was old and worn, I researched it on this forum of course and went with the Jandy cv 460, a little big for my system however.

Let me ask, I shouldn't bother get a metal test done and treat it based on your guys answer, just ignore it? The pool looks great with everyone's training and advise and of course the correct test kit. Thanks again.

Roth

I would not. Does your fill water have iron in it? Do your faucets and toilet bowls have iron staining?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had this exact same issue and got the exact same letter from Jandy. I read them the riot act and chastised them for accusing me of not maintaining my pool telling them I have meticulous records going back to when my pool was first filled. They sent a new ring which also is rusting. That ring should be made from stainless.

Metals won't cause corrosion, but they can cause stains.

However, the stains would be uniform and not in limited spots like is shown.

Based on the fact that the spots are localized, I suspect that the band is probably good stainless and the problems are likely caused by the manufacturing process causing changes in the metal at specific spots.

I suspect that heating and bending can cause areas that are more susceptible to corrosion, which concentrates any corrosion to the affected spots.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.