Jandy Aqualink Z4 pump / solar controller misting over

Teaman

Apr 6, 2012
Redmond, WA
Some time ago I posted on this topic. This is now to tell anyone interested some findings and remedies so you don't have to go through what I did.
Note first that the programming is on the removable controller itself (7 by 3-1/2 inches) not on the motherboard inside the outer enclosure. If you replace the controller, you have to reprogram it. They are available on line at $350 to $425 and Jandy don't want to sell you parts, just the complete controller. I now have two, the first one replaced under warranty so no cost to me. Both have failed but the program on the installed one still functions.
The problem is that the LCD screen of the controller mists over, to the point of droplets of water gathering making it impossible to see. This is on the inside of the controller box screen, not on the LCD itself. The route seems to be the push buttons on the front get weak and the seal round one or another cracks and losses integrity. The crack lets moisture in which then accumulates.
The fix is to dry it out and apply a film of clear vinyl over the front. This can be done without disconnecting the controller.
To open the outer enclosure there are two flat-head screws.
The controller is then held on the outer door by two phillips screws.
Finally, to open the controller, four more phillips.
You can do all this live if you are careful.
The controller is connected by a Cat 4 cable which you can leave in place.
Obviously, dry the inside of the controller.
We put a clear vinyl over the front and trimmed it down once in place. We used XPO from vvidvinyl. The choice was simply what we had available from other projects. Two things; if its hard to see the LCD through this, trim it so the screen is not covered. And it needs to be thin/pliable enough that the buttons still function.
When reassembling, you can use some silica gel desiccant in both the controller and outer cabinet. Also you can seal round the Cat 4 socket with silicone. And use on the outer cabinet although this may have open ports on the underside for cabling.
Hope this helps. An easy enough fix on what seems to be questionable manufacturing in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.