Jandy AquaLink and Heat pump

Noelep

Mar 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I have a PDA-Ps6 and a Jandy Pro JE Heat pump - and am having difficulty with the rs485 based control of it.

The heat pump installation manual suggests that for aqualink connectivity you can choose *either* 2-wire Remote TSTAT or the 4-wire bus, whereas the aqualink instructions seem to indicate they both have to be hooked up?

Can anyone let me know how whether it requires both, or just the rs485 bus? Either way - I can only get the remote tstat functionality working...the panel and the heater don’t seem to see each other over the bus.

Any insight appreciated!

Just use one method. Make sure you set your HP for remote control. My Jandy gas heater was setup with just the remote t-stat by the electrician and I changed it myself to the 4 wire RS485 cable. Works perfect!

Hi PoolGate - thanks for the reply. That was my initial assumption - but the wording in the aqualink installation threw me.

You say 'set your HP for remote control' - on the Heat Pump there are three options for remote control 'OFF', 'HI-LO-COM' and 'REMOTE TSTAT'. Do you know which it is? (Or is there a hidden third option that isn't showing because of some underlying 485 issue!)

Of those I would choose the 2nd. But the manual should tell you what it should be set for. Also make sure to power cycle both iAqualink and the heater once the cable it in place.

7. Check all wiring, then apply power to both the
heat pump and the RS control system. Operation
can be verified in either Service or Auto mode. See
the RS Control System manual for instructions
about operation.
When the Jandy Pro Series JE heat pump is first
powered and there is an RS control connected to the
heat pump, the display on the heat pump will show
“JANDY REMOTE ONLINE PUSH MENU TO
DISABLE”. When the JE heat pump is online with
the RS control, all functionality of the control on the
heat pump is disabled. The heat pump functions can be
controlled only at the RS unit.
To temporarily use the heat pump controls, press
the MENU button. The message “JANDY REMOTE
ONLINE PUSH MENU TO DISABLE” will disappear
from the heat pump display. All functionality has now
been returned to the control on the heat pump. In this
mode the RS unit is no longer controlling the heat
pump.

Thanks - yes, this is what I am expecting to happen...but I never get the 'JANDY REMOTE ONLINE PUSH MENU TO DISABLE' message. The manual makes no mention of whether what the explicit 'Remote' setting should be when attempting 485 bus communication.
Reading between the lines I guess that means it doesn't matter (i.e. is redundant if the 485 bus is working)....which further indicates that the RS485 bus is, in fact, not working.

I will power everything off, recheck all connections and try again. So close!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.