Jandy air temp sensor showing much warmer than reality after snowmageddon...

Jameso78

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Sep 18, 2020
North Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
The sun is finally shining here in North Texas but its still 27 degrees outside... I just happened to look out and see that my water feature had turned off, which didn't seem right... I went to my Jandy PDA and it shows its 42 degrees outside, which is why my water feature turned off (I have it on freeze protect at 38 degrees)... Does this mean my air temp sensor is bad, or is there a recalibration function? Remember, my equipment is 14+ years old :) ... well, at least the parts I haven't replaced yet, temp sensors being on of those items...

Move the air temp sensor out of the sun Into some shade.

Sun comes out in Texas and folks realize sunshine increases temperature versus being in the shade.

All my equipment appears to be in the shade... but having said that, I'll ask the dumb question... where is my outside air temp sensor? only sensor I know of is the one strapped to my PVC pipe for the water temp...I have an older Jandy RSLink system, there's no display inside the control box, and I have the PDA remote...

All my equipment appears to be in the shade... but having said that, I'll ask the dumb question... where is my outside air temp sensor? only sensor I know of is the one strapped to my PVC pipe for the water temp...I have an older Jandy RSLink system, there's no display inside the control box, and I have the PDA remote...

The air temperature sensor is hanging somewhere around your box.

Your manual is at —> https://www.jandy.com/-/media/zodiac/global/downloads/0748-91071/6594.pdf?force=1

Follow the wires connected to screws 7&8.

30A10E20-A3F9-40B7-8E16-22BB7DC26453.png

Found it, it is directly underneath my control box and in the shade... there is also significant snow on the ground underneath that was in the sun.. I am thinking some reflective heat may have been radiating upwards off the snow from the sun, causing the sensor to read warmer than normal... I just checked again as the sun light is no longer hitting the snow underneath, and sure enough the temp has dropped several degrees in a matter of few minutes...I am welcome to any other theories?

Found it, it is directly underneath my control box and in the shade... there is also significant snow on the ground underneath that was in the sun.. I am thinking some reflective heat may have been radiating upwards off the snow from the sun, causing the sensor to read warmer than normal... I just checked again as the sun light is no longer hitting the snow underneath, and sure enough the temp has dropped several degrees in a matter of few minutes...I am welcome to any other theories?
If you do not want to rely on your freeze protection then just reprogram your pump and water feature to run at whatever times you wish. That is what I did because I put a huge tarp over my equipment pad and the pump motors would keep temperature under the tarp a little warmer. So I did not want my freeze protection to turn off, so I just set new programs for pool mode, spa mode and water feature. I did not worry about my booster pump for cleaner as water naturally flows through that in pool mode.

thanks all.. it definitely was the radiant impact off of the snow, once it melted over the weekend, all back to normal... case closed!

Reactions: mknauss
Glad you solved it. In case this helps anyone, you can also adjust the calibration of the temperature sensor by plus or minus a few degrees. In other words, you can make the computer read the temperature read a little hotter or colder if you find that the sensor is off by a few degrees.

James, what does the sensor look like? Can you attach a photo? I think mine needs replacing

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.