Jacuzzi J-355 (first winter) cant keep water temps up in cool winter (SoCal).

May 3, 2013
We have a Jacuzzi J-355 hot tub and this is the first cold season, its less then year old, so have a question about the heater. what is happening lately, is the hot tub is set at 101 degrees, and is designed to turn on when gets down 2 degrees below set point so will turn on when down to 99. Its also wired for 60 amp and jumpers are set correctly so in theory, we can have the heater on when both jet pumps are on. We live in Southern California and lately with temps down to 51 (not that cold) and Santa Ana winds blowing at night the heater has not been able to keep the temps up even when only one jet pump running. we were in the tub other night and the temp was 51 outside and real windy. the tub normally dropped to 99 where the heater came on but the whole time we were in it never could get it above 99, then the next morning same thing, we covered the hot tub over night so it was back up to 101 but when we got in, it would cool to 99 (only one jet on) then the heater came on and it kept cooling down, finally long after we got out but kept the jet going it went down to 95 (heater still on) when we finally covered it back up. Once we cover it will get back up to temp.

So my question is how do we check if the heater is working properly and is this something that is normal? Ive been in portable hot tubs in the snow and they could keep the temp up.

Thanks!
James.

wiz,

I'm not sure what is wrong, but what you describe is not normal. Your tub should be able to run the two jet motors as well as heat the water.

Since this tub is new, then the first thing I would do is file a warranty claim with your dealer and let them fix it.

Problem wise, either the heater is not getting power, or the heater is bad. If the heater is not getting power then I would suspect a temperature sense problem or Circuit card issue.

I had the opposite problem.. My water temperature would continue to increase with the Jets on, and I could not tell if the heater was on or not. So I attached a temporary cable to the heater input so I could monitor the voltage to the heater. Turns out the heater was turning off when it should, but the motors and the sun would cause the temperature to increase. Because I wanted to know for sure when my heater was on or off, I installed an LED light at the control panel that only turns on when the heater is getting power.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks, we actually have just put in a request to the service people for our Jacuzzi but did want to look at it on our own. Is there a way to determine how much heat the heater is putting out based on the current it is drawing? for example when its on, If I put a clamp on amp meter on the heater can I figure out if its working normal or not?

Thanks, we actually have just put in a request to the service people for our Jacuzzi but did want to look at it on our own. Is there a way to determine how much heat the heater is putting out based on the current it is drawing? for example when its on, If I put a clamp on amp meter on the heater can I figure out if its working normal or not?

Wiz,

Sounds like that would work to me. It could be you heater has two heating coils and one of them has failed... ???

You would need to know what the output of your heater should be in Watts... 5,000 Watts or ???

Power (Watts) is equal to I (Current) times V (Voltage)...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.