It’s open! It’s green! Looking for help! TEST RESULTS ADDED!

Ok test results:
FC 0- added approx 1.2 gallons. after 30 min 8.5
CC .5
pH 7.8
salt 2800
CH 250
TA 80
CYA 0
and a picture because now I have .5 CC and clear BLUE water. so I just have to pass the OCLT?
I'm going to start adding CYA. then will add chlorine to SLAM level can I try OCLT tonight?
I really want more chlorine in the pool so the stains go away. Oh I also need to get ph down to 7.2. will do that as well.
IMG_5089.jpeg

Reactions: bobloblaw42
I have quart/4 cup anchor or pyrex glass measuring cup dedicated to liquid chlorine. Inexpensive at wally world etc.

That color change must be really exciting to watch real-time.

I have quart/4 cup anchor or pyrex glass measuring cup dedicated to liquid chlorine. Inexpensive at wally world etc.

That color change must be really exciting to watch real-time.
yeah I have a cup somewhere for acid, but I can't find it (darn 7 months of pool closing) and it's for acid anyway so I didn't want to use it.

the color change is amazing.

I have some cheap Betty Crocker plastic measuring cups that I use for Chlorine and Muriatic acid (one set is white, one set is red). They were at the grocery store - I think maybe $8 for a set ?

Reactions: Lilypad and Newdude
I don't profess to know the right numbers for plaster pools, but FC is better if it's holding, and you'll need some CYA to buffer it, but I wouldn't add more than 30ppm CYA until you are done with the SLAM/OCLT or you're just upping the amount of Liquid Chlorine you'll need to get the SLAM done.

well salt doesn't matter, nor calcium. (at this time) but I just added CYA because I need to get the party started. Fortunately I probably added a little less since I didn't read pool math properly. so I added more like 3 lbs instead of 3 lbs 12 oz.

So I plan to get my FC up to 12 soon ( I just added acid). then I will test after the sun goes down. I think that's it for today?

I just added CYA because I need to get the party started.
It had most of today to mix. Hopefully it was reasonably close to 0 before adding new CYA.
So I plan to get my FC up to 12 soon ( I just added acid). then I will test after the sun goes down. I think that's it for today?
Yup.

Clean the vial well now or in the morning. One trace of residual reagents can fail your OCLT and the AM test bites alot of folks. Besides the vial, I blame not enough and also too much coffee. As in, both at the same time.

If you leave the pump on overnight, it saves you 30 mins of sleep because you don't need to wake up even earlier to mix first.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I feel your pain ;)

Its Michigan, we're in 3rd Winter don't ya know ;)
I always know it's a possibility! I just didn't expect it the DAY I OPENED when it's been in the 70s. is your pool open? I really like this, and while I hope to not have a green pool and a need to open early next year I think I will anyway!

I always know it's a possibility! I just didn't expect it the DAY I OPENED when it's been in the 70s. is your pool open? I really like this, and while I hope to not have a green pool and a need to open early next year I think I will anyway!
Yes - we soft-opened (covers, get all the mechanicals running etc) about 2 weeks ago, and then bumped up the heat when it was predicted to hit mid-70s. We did get a couple three days in the pool before the weather decided we were done with our one-week trial of spring...
20240414_144904.jpg
That said, some forecasts are calling for 80F on Saturday...which in April is just crazy.

Reactions: Newdude
Well I think I failed. I tested at 6:30 am which was pretty light but the sun wasn't really up yet. I don't know if that could have been the reason. Sunrise said 6:36. anyway I was 12 last night and 9.5 this morning. I'll add chlorine. so if the sunrise says 6:36, what time would you do the OCLT? I don't know if I messed up or not.

Last edited:
30 minutes of pre-dawn light isn't going to account for 2.5ppm of FC usage.
Continue the SLAM !!

Reactions: Newdude
I added a little more than pool math said to get to 12, I tested 2 hours later and I was at 10.5. I added more. I guess I'll keep going every 2 hours. it's very sunny today but still April in Michigan and 56.

Reactions: SJPoe and Newdude
ok this is how today went:
6:30 am 9.5 - added back up to 12
8:30 am 10.5 - added back up to 12
9:50 am 14
11:00 am 12.5
12:30 pm 10 -added back up to 12
2:56 pm 12.5
4:00 pm 13 (ok something was wrong here or at 2:56 but it's close)

so I have to leave for a few hours so I added 22 oz (the rest of my 3rd gallon in total so far) so it doesn't get below 12 while I'm gone. here's a photo from around 1 pm. based on this should I do OCLT tonight?
IMG_5094.jpeg

based on this should I do OCLT tonight?
For clear water, you can move onto OCLTs.

Where are we with the CYA ? Is it registering yet ? You lost a bunch of FC today which could be the CYA still dissolving/ mixing. Or there is still stuff being killed.

P.S. that was a terrific effort today !!!! You're only helping yourself when it's over that much sooner. (y)

Reactions: EmilyOTR

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support