It's not algae after all........help!

Jun 3, 2016
Enfield, CT
All this time I have been thinking I am battling with an algae problem when they truth is I have a tear in my liner. The brown colored debris that is constantly showing up in the bottom of my pool is dirt from under the pool liner! My husband has searched the whole pool with goggles and cannot locate the tear. What now? This liner is only 3 years old. I am so upset. Any suggestions how to find the hole? I dont want to replace it just yet.

I agree with the above. The symptoms don't sound like a hole (underwater holes allow water to escape, not debris to get in) and you didn't find a hole, so how did you determine that the problem is a hole?

Reactions: Chickinvic

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Kabs, I went back and looked at your last few postings since July, and it appears you were battling some algae in the past. We can't help but wonder if there is still another chemistry issue happening since any tear in a liner will result in water loss, and generally a substantial amount. The weight and force of the water will go out quickly and not allow debris to enter. With an above ground pool so there is no plumbing underground to suck-in dirt, so it really would seem like whatever is building-up at the bottom is either falling into the water and settling or a chemistry issue.

I see you are going to try the towel smear trick - good. You might also post some new water test results, and perhaps a pic of your pool so we can see the water. Maybe something will help us make sense of it all for you.

Reactions: kabs996
Those are good numbers. Nothing to indicate an algae problem. You could always do another Overnight Chlorine Loss Test if you wanted, but I doubt you'll have a problem. But, when you did your SLAM before, did you remove the ladder? Did you also clean and chlorinate the ladder poles/steps as well? Junk can get in those as well.

If the ladder and water are good, then I suspect you'll just have to do more housekeeping - vacuuming. (well, you''re already doing it daily). Winds will make a mess of things. My pool gets junk blown-in from my Cypress trees and it looks like I never cleaned the pool.

Should I just brush it up and let some go into the filter?
You could. If they are clumps, they may rise close enough to the surface for you to grab. Otherwise just let it go to the filter. Keep an eye on your filter pressure gauge too. If you know your baseline (clean) pressure, then you'll know when it has gone up by 25% indicating it's time to clean.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.