It's been green awhile

Well, I put in 7 1/2 small jugs of Clorox and 2 lbs. of cal-hypo to keep it at 25 ppm today. We'll see what it reads in the morning. I also brushed twice, vacuumed once, and backwashed once. It has turned what I would call a milky-white/green but my wife calls blue-green (more green). I'll take her word for it since I'm color-deficient.

Either way it's slowly looking better and we'll see what tomorrow brings. 8)

One question: The book that came with the K-2006 says the FC test is only good to 20 ppm. From the collective experience on here is it accurate to higher levels?

Thanks for all the help!

schrody said:
One question: The book that came with the K-2006 says the FC test is only good to 20 ppm. From the collective experience on here is it accurate to higher levels?
Yes it can test higher levels, but may bleach out so if you see a quick pink flash then add more DPD powder until the pink/red stays. Then, titrate as normal. This is described here as follows:

Chlorine levels > approx. 25 ppm may bleach out indicator or cause sample to develop a brown color; to prevent, add more DPD powder or dilute sample with DI water as necessary and retest.

Richard

Taylor says in various places that the FAS-DPD test is good to 20 and also that it is good to 50. Experience shows that it works at least up into the 40s, though you often need more R-0870 powder at extremely high FC levels. The precision is slightly lower at higher FC levels, but still very good.

A business friend once bought me his pool water to test because he was concerned he was putting in too many pucks.

This is no joke....his FC tested @ 70ppm!! The test itself did fine but I thought surely something was wrong with the test and almost quit adding drops @ 50ppm.

From my experience Leslie's only sells it online. If you have any other pools stores or installers, contact them. I had to and found a great little shop that I will be going to and avoiding Leslie's and their sage advice (note sarcasm) :roll:

Keep going on, you will be there soon.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's running. Maybe not enough? I have never been impressed with the circulation of this ancient pool, but it has two jets, only one skimmer, and one main drain that *might* work. The pump is programmed for 2 turnovers per day so it is running at 18 gpm.

At this stage of your clearing process, it may very well help you to boost that circulation. You've got a lot of dead algae to get out of the pool and you'll need to filter it out.

It sounds like you have a programmable pump. I'm not intimately familiar with them but I think I'd run it up 'til your filter psi is somewhere in the vicinity of 18 or a little more. Tell us where your psi is now and what type of filter and pump you have.

If you can maximize your filtration, your pool will clear faster. It may cause you to clean/backwash more often but that's good.....it means you're getting out more junk.

Sorry. I overlooked the stats in your sig while I was in "post" mode.

I see only benefit in increasing you pump even more. You have a filter capacity of 60 GPM so I think running your pump around 45gpm or so would be ideal.

If the 45gpm pushes your psi above 20 (I'm pretty sure it wont), then I'd back it off to just keep the psi under 20.

You'll really help yourself clean up the algae you are killing.

I went ahead and backwashed it before re-programming. It's now running at 39 gpm and 12 psi. That's about as comfortable as I feel pushing it for overnight when I won't be able to monitor it. Let's hope it helps and thanks for the advice!! :goodjob:

PS. I'll push it a little more tomorrow if need be.

duraleigh said:
I see only benefit in increasing you pump even more. You have a filter capacity of 60 GPM so I think running your pump around 45gpm or so would be ideal.

I wouldn't have increase the PSI and the outflow of the pump until the new filter valve is put on. Last I knew he had water running out of the drain hose and he had city water hose in the pool making up for the loss. The busted valve is just hanging in there. My own 2 cents.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.