Issues with pool finish - Will the installer try to brush me off?

rev29k

May 8, 2018
Tampa
OK Folks. So about 2-3 months ago, I started seeing these greenish-brown spots (more brown really, with a touch of green) spots on my pool finish floor, sunshelf, and spa. (See attached pics).

I immediately started testing trying to determine what type of stain it was (organic/inorganic) and then try to treat accordingly. Unfortunately, using a stain testing kit yielded no indication of either an organic or inorganic stain. The stains seemed to be in the finish. They would not come off even if scrubbed with a wire brush. I even tried pouring Caly-Hypo shock directly on the stains via PVC tube. The only way to remove them seemed to be by spot treating with acid, which of course is just removing a thin layer of finish. The result is a darker blue spot (the actual finish color), that eventually fades and blends in with the rest of the finish due to it most likely being an organic substrate and fading from the chlorine just slightly enough to blend in with the surrounding area, which I am actually OK with as I did this myself in several areas (by mistake actually) and now they are practically unnoticeable.

I was very frustrated and concerned that I might be doing something wrong. I even had several professionals come by (my previous pool tech, and a pool store owner I actually respect as he doesn't try to up-sell you all the time). The first guy even used one of those water testing kits with the disks you put in a centrifuge that test for metals and everything. He said my water was great, with minuscule levels of metals. (See below). They even tested the spots themselves as well, and both were of the opinion that it was an issue with my finish.

Copper .1
Iron .1
Phos 36

So, being that this was a new finish that was poured in fall of last year, I called my builder and he is sending the finish installer out on Tuesday to inspect it. I have a Midnight Blue Stonescapes Mini-Pebble Finish with added Abalone. My question for everyone/concern, is that the installer is going to try to take the easy way out of fixing it, whatever that might be, or even just try to blow me off entirely. Is my only option at this point an acid wash? Do I really want to do that to the whole pool given its brand new! I have heard of/read about both dry and wet acid washing, but not sure which is preferable if I have to go that route. Or should I just insist he spot treat them all? I would do that myself by I probably have about a hundred of these small spots, and it's a very tricky and delicate process (pouring acid down a pvc tube).

Is there anything you would suggest that I do or don't have him do? Any info I should be armed with before he gets here. It's a brand new pool and I'm very frustrated to be having this spotting problem how much extra I paid for this fancy finish, and I certainly don't want some installer pulling some BS and not doing anything or whatever is easiest for him.

TIA Everyone!
Cheers
Sean

Attachments

• IMG_0478.jpg
    IMG_0478.jpg
    556.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0477.jpg
    IMG_0477.jpg
    545.5 KB · Views: 34
Last edited by a moderator:
I suspect it is the abalone shells. Do a search in the forum. That subject has been raised before.

Yeah, those seem to mention a halo around the abalone. My stains seem to be independent of the abalone. I've got plenty that aren't even near abalone. But I've already tried shocking the pool to 28 based on my CYA, not to mention I've literally poured mounds of Caly-Hypo shock onto each spot, so that would effectively be that same thing as the superchlorinate that I have found. Am I seriously looking at a re-finish!

What if he tries to say I need an acid wash of some sort? Is that something reasonable to try first that I should accept? Or am I looking at a new finish? If so that's gonna be one heck of a fight! :(

I'm not talking about variations. These are clearly spots in the finish. I've got other areas of minor mottling which I understand are to be expected. But half of my pool looks like a spotted leopard. Has anyone had to deal with these types of issues with finish installers? I have the owner coming out tomorrow, and want to be prepared as much as possible. What should I be expecting for him to do in terms of how to correct the problem?

So my pool builder and the finish installer came out today.

He (the installer) immediately started testing the water and claiming that my levels were off. Of course I have been following the TFT method/levels, and they go by the standard levels, so of course they were somewhat off. But even the builder knows I'm OCD about this pool, and there isn't any way I let my levels get so far off for long enough to cause an issue. But he (the installer) shows me his calculations and points to an LSI of like -1.2!! I was like WTF!!! Ain't no way in heck it's that high! So I started discussing with him the levels, but he was bouncing around so much I couldn't get a straight answer from him. I immediately tested them again myself when they left and I was OK. (CYA was 60, a smidge high for them, and Alkalinity at 70, obviously too low for them, but not too far off). He said my calcium was 180, but I KNEW that was wrong. It's 350, pool store said 330. (I immediately went to them for a confirmation on my testing). My pH was 7.7, but I am seriously thinking he was adjusting the pH on his app (Orenda) down real low in order to get a 1.2 LSI number. No other way I can think of as that has the biggest impact on it.

So, things ended with him saying he will have the rep for Stonescapes come out and take a look at it and see what they say.

On a side note, there are two large areas (about 1 ft. in diameter) where they literally had to patch the finish the day of the install, because it didn't "set" or "take" right and was coming up. So they literally (I watched them) took already dried up, spare plaster, added water to it, and then re-applied it to that area. Of course it ended up drying lighter than the surrounding finish and has always stuck out. I mentioned it to the installler/owner and he said "sorry, nothing we can do", that "it happens".

I'm hoping the Stonescapes rep is more forthcoming, and if they say either the brown spots or the "patched" areas are a result of the installation, then I will get a documented statement from them and use that as legal leverage against the installer. I've already got a construction attorney on retainer from when I had to go after my first builder who stole my deposit and then declared bankruptcy. But in spite of that he was able to get a court judgement against him, so he ain't too shabby!!

Anyways, just thought I'd share my progress so far. Not sure when the Rep will come out, but here's to hoping it goes well and that it doesn't turn into ANOTHER major battle. If anyone has any experiences or advise they want to share, I'd definitely appreciate it.

Wish me luck! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.