Issues with Bromine Spa Startup

Mikerf12

Nov 21, 2019
CT
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
I have recently drained and refilled my hot tub here in Connecticut in preparation for the upcoming colder months. I have gotten all of the levels for PH, TA, and Ch exactly where they need to be using a Taylor Bromine Test Kit and following the stickied guide.

I am however unable to get the bromine level to raise at all. I ordered a two pound container of sodium bromide and added it per the instructions on the bottle and tested . No Bromine per the Taylor test. The next day, I added another dosage of the sodium Bromide, still no bromine present. This went on until the entire two lb bottle of sodium bromide was gone. I cannot get the 30 ppm per the guide.

I’m relatively new to this. Did I receive bad sodium bromide from the internet?

Today I went and purchased packets of leisure time sodium bromide from a local store and added 2 more ounces to the water as well. Tested and still no bromine present.

I’m baffled at this point and don’t know if I’m doing something wrong or something else is going on. At this point 2 lbs 2 ozs of sodium bromide have been added to a small (300 gallon) hot tub and the level of bromine will not come up.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
What are Canadians to do? I have "brominating concentrate" (52.7% sodium dicholoro-s-triazinetrione, 14.7% sodium bromide). Any idea how much I should add to build a bromide reserve in a 420 US Gal tub?

I've got the same question going in my thread about building a bromide bank I converted water volume to grams and figured I would need 36 g of pure sodium bromide so with the 15% bromide in the granules I figured I would need 240 grams to get 30 ppm of bromide in my 300 gallon tub.

I used 1200 liters and 1g per millilter so that would be 30g sodium bromide in 1200000 milliliters of water

I found sodium bromide on amazon.ca but it is more expensive per gram of sodium bromide than what I paid for the bromide dichlor mix when converting to 100% bromide

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.