Isotonic pool water?

LS1M

Mar 10, 2012
Houston, TX
I searched but couldn't find anyone who actually did this. If I raised the salt level to 9000 ppm, it would make the water in the pool the same as the water in our cells. In theory, that would make it more comfortable to swim in for the eyes and skin, although the water would taste salty (like tears). My question is, what other effects can I expect to deal with as far as material & equipment goes? The new pool that we're planning will probably be an in-ground gunite, maybe 20,000 gallons. I'd need to source a SWG that can handle the high salt content, I know that. Any other show-stopping issues I should be aware of? Anybody have experience with isotonic pools?

Thanks
-Mark

The water will become more corrosive to plaster. Higher salt levels decreases the CSI making it more negative with calcium becoming more soluble in the pool water. You'll have to maintain higher pH and TA levels to compensate.

Also, with higher salt levels comes greater risk of stone work degradation from salt permeation.

Most SWGs will not operate at those levels and you risk higher corrosion rates of a pool heater core. For a heater, you'd want to go with a heat pump that has a titanium heat exchanger and stay away from copper. You'd also not want to put any metal in the water such as hand rails and ladders. Fiberglass would be a better choice.

As stated previously isotonic water is unnecessary for bather comfort.

You're right, I will have a hard time finding a SWG that will work at 9000 ppm. I really would like to try this out & see how it feels, perhaps with an above-ground pool and regular chlorine (bleach) instead of the SWG. I'll definitely use a bonding wire this time, and a sacrificial zinc anode. Is there a particular mfg that makes a pool that would handle the high salt level better than the Intex pools? I see others that have steel or aluminum walls.

How about this idea. Pick up one of those 'cheap' inflatable hot tubs from like walmart. You could do pretty much anything you want with that and be able to get a feel for what it would be like. Only out a few hundred if things go really wrong.

How about this idea. Pick up one of those 'cheap' inflatable hot tubs from like walmart. You could do pretty much anything you want with that and be able to get a feel for what it would be like. Only out a few hundred if things go really wrong.

My thoughts exactly. Or hit up Craig's List and look for someone getting rid of a Intex EasySet pool. Plenty of those on there.

Getting a "practice pool" sounds like fun. Bad timing, though. Winter just around the corner here in Texas. Fortunately, it doesn't last long. Heck, it's in the 60s today :O

Happy Thanksgiving and thanks for the help. This forum is awesome :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.