Isolate Pool from Spa

Thank you all, I do have one more question.
Right now in pool mode, it stops halfway between pool and spa return.
Once I do this, i will no longer be able to have the spill over run as well as the pool returns, assisting in getting everything to the skimmers correct?

(I guess this is one drawback? or am I thinking of this incorrectly?)

Last edited:
In POOL mode, no water will flow to the spa once you reset the actuator.
In SPILLOVER mode, the pool skimmer will skim and all water will be returned to the spa and spill over into the pool.

You don't want to be in SPILLOVER mode constantly as the aeration from spillover will raise your pH.

You can set schedules for each of these modes and also manually change to each mode as desired.

Reactions: HermanTX
My return is on 100% of the time now with no option to disable. Thats what I am trying to accomplish. But as far as I am aware all the jets are supplied from the same pipe and no additional return besides the jets.
OK great. Just follow what Allen stated to adjust the cam on the valve and then make adjustments to the dip switches. That should resolve it.

Once I do this, i will no longer be able to have the spill over run as well as the pool returns, assisting in getting everything to the skimmers correct?
In spillover mode, you close off the pool returns and only flow to spa - however, you will schedule this for maybe 30mins each at 2x per day to refresh the spa water. Therefore, it will return to Pool Mode and flow back through the pool returns to assist the debris to the skimmers for the majority of time your pump is running.
As indicated early - in Spa Mode, there is only circulation to and from the spa with no flow to the pool.

Thank you all, I do have one more question.
Right now in pool mode, it stops halfway between pool and spa return.

(I guess this is one drawback? or am I thinking of this incorrectly?)

You will find you only need to run the SPILLOVER for two or three times a day for 10-15 minutes to refresh the spa and help with the skimming. Set programs in your Aqualink to run the SPILLOVER as many times as you want during the day.

Thanks!
So here is an update
I did all the changes. But i have a problem.
When I click "SPILLOVER MODE" in the app, it turns only one actuator. Its turning the one that control main drain and not return. Attached picture of the JVA that is rotating. But the one for the returns is not moving.

Attachments

• SPA.jpg
    SPA.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 7
When I click "SPILLOVER MODE" in the app, it turns only one actuator. Its turning the one that control main drain and not return.
Take off your cover of the AquaLink panel. On the PCB there will be 2 plug in sockets - one for Intake JVA and the other for Return JVA. Simply unplug them and switch them to the other. The installer didn't take note of which JVA (Jandy Valve Actuator) was connected to the proper socket.

Here is a OLD picture of the PCB board. Your sockets may be on bottom but they will be denoted as INTAKE and RETURN
JVA Sockets on PCB.PNG

Take off your cover of the AquaLink panel. On the PCB there will be 2 plug in sockets - one for Intake JVA and the other for Return JVA. Simply unplug them and switch them to the other. The installer didn't take note of which JVA (Jandy Valve Actuator) was connected to the proper socket.
Will this impact other functions? Spa mode right now changes both so that should be un impacted right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Will this impact other functions? Spa mode right now changes both so that should be un impacted right?
Right, when you were going from SPA mode to POOL mode and visa-versa - it turned both so it appeared all was working fine. Now you are just trying to turn 1 and so you need the valve actuator to be in the correct socket.

Correct - POOL and SPA mode will not be affected, only the valve that moves for SPILLOVER.

Additionally, be sure your booster pump (for your pool cleaner) is NOT programmed on when using SPILLOVER or SPA mode - as there will be NO water available to the booster pump because it's plumbed into the POOL return line.

Awesome thanks! I’ll try it shortly. Also when I hit “spillover mode” should the pump
Pause like It does for spa mode? Right now it doesn’t.
I would turn off all power to the automation when you make changes - then it will reboot with the new configuration.

I would turn off all power to the automation when you make changes - then it will reboot with the new configuration.
I think what he is saying is that when the automation changes from POOL to SPILLOVER (moving only the return valve) that the pump isn't shutting off. He is wondering if the pump should shut off during this change.

Yes I do! And it does it when I hit spa mode. But not spillover mode. Just curious if it should.
Well - I am not sure then. The instructions from the manual indicate it should but not sure if Jandy did that additional programing for just the Spillover mode. I do not have spillover so I cannot test that on my AquaLink.

Did you make the socket switch and does the return valve now rotate when going to Spillover mode?

The pump does not need to turnoff when changing between POOL mode and SPILLOVER mode.

Reactions: xeonman13
Well - I am not sure then. The instructions from the manual indicate it should but not sure if Jandy did that additional programing for just the Spillover mode. I do not have spillover so I cannot test that on my AquaLink.

Did you make the socket switch and does the return valve now rotate when going to Spillover mode?
Success. All is good now! Thank you all.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.