Is Variable Speed Pump Worth It for New Jersey?

My pump weeps just the teeniest bit at the inlet .. not enough where you see actual drops of water but you can tell it's slightly damp there .. perhaps it's trying to tell me something.

Just for your math; my Intelliflo VSF running 1450rpm uses 196 watts. If I run it 24 hours a day (I do), it costs me $.39 at $0.083/cents per kWH.
I'm actually running it lower than that now (1100rpm) but don't remember the wattage, I think it is just shy of 100 watts.

The math on VS pumps against your electricity cost can make it a no-brainer pretty easy.
When the solar cover is on I also run my pump at 1100 RPM. I think the pool skims way better when the pump is set to 1800 RPM so that's where I run it when the cover is off. I wrote down the wattage the pump uses at each setting but can't find it.

Consider yourself lucky. In NJ, after taxes and fees, electricity is around $0.19/KWH

IMHO, if you really want a new VSP, you don't need to justify it, but if you are looking for a logical reason, the math is simple.

You need to know what you are paying for your electricity (total per kwh. How many hours you currently operate your pump and the power usage of the pump. Your latest electric bill should have the total you are paying (In PA it's broken down into delivery and production, and I currently pay $0.085 per kwh), you should already know how many hours your pump is running and the electrical usage should be in the pump manual.

You can use the numbers from the VSP to compare, but most people with a VSP operate longer hours or 24 hours per day.

So it's (hours of operation) X (power usage of the pump) X (cost of power) = daily cost X number of days in operation.

For me, I have a Hayward 1HP Super Pump, which draws 750 watts (this is from my pump manual even though it is listed at 9 amps @ 230V) 9 hours per day with a rate of $0.085 per kwh. In PA we can shop for cheaper electric rates, so I think my costs for power are pretty low.

.75 x 9 = 6.75 kwh X .085 = $.57375 per day X 160 days = $91.80 per year

At my current electric power rate and hours of operation, it's difficult for me to justify the extra expense for the VSP (currently Hayward VSP Super Pump is about $1100). I will admit that a VSP would save me money, but the payback time is probably longer than a new pumps life expectancy.

Everyone has a different situation, if you "need" a new pump, then I would probably get a VSP, or if my power rates went up, that would influence me even if my single speed pump were still in good operating order (my heart goes out to those on the left shore, I hear that power prices out there are around $0.30 per kwh).

Again, if you really want a VSP, then get one, it's a free country and if you can afford it and you want it, just get it.

At my current electric power rate and hours of operation, it's difficult for me to justify the extra expense for the VSP (currently Hayward VSP Super Pump is about $1100). I will admit that a VSP would save me money, but the payback time is probably longer than a new pumps life expectancy.

Everyone has a different situation, if you "need" a new pump, then I would probably get a VSP, or if my power rates went up, that would influence me even if my single speed pump were still in good operating order (my heart goes out to those on the left shore, I hear that power prices out there are around $0.30 per kwh).
Sounds like my boat... I would need the old pump to die a horrible death or for our local utility to reinstate the VSP rebates that were cancelled with the COVID thing started. Otherwise I am chugging along at one speed. "All ahead full, that's all we got!"📣

Sounds like my boat... I would need the old pump to die a horrible death or for our local utility to reinstate the VSP rebates that were cancelled with the COVID thing started. Otherwise I am chugging along at one speed. "All ahead full, that's all we got!"📣
I'm with you, I even have a spare pump that I rebuilt when the motor went out on my old pump in '17, so I'll probably have a single speed pump till I die or the price of power goes up drastically....... Although I am tempted just so that the pump is quieter.

When the solar cover is on I also run my pump at 1100 RPM. I think the pool skims way better when the pump is set to 1800 RPM so that's where I run it when the cover is off. I wrote down the wattage the pump uses at each setting but can't find it.

Consider yourself lucky. In NJ, after taxes and fees, electricity is around $0.19/KWH
Got ya - following advice from here, I've got my 3-way valve to skim only which provides better skimming that 2800rpm with skimmers and main drain both fully on. Something to consider if you can cut the main drain off completely.

Reactions: sduda210
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.