Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Having recently closed the pool for the first time, I just noticed that with a bit of rain and leaves the cover is already sagging a bunch in the centre... see pic. to my (untrained) eye, looks like way too much for a bit of rain/leaves... considering it's supposed to withstand heavy snow.
I thought the springs are decently tight, but perhaps I did not tighten them enough? Any suggestions? (btw, there are anchors on the sheer descent wall, with a metallic wire providing support along that wall)IMG_3893.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
An easy way to check if the springs are good is if they are half compressed. You don't want them bottomed out or loose.

New covers will stretch a bit and need some occasional tweaking.

An easy way to check if the springs are good is if they are half compressed. You don't want them bottomed out or loose.

New covers will stretch a bit and need some occasional tweaking.
Thank you! How do you tell the amount of compression? If a spring normally measures, say, 10”, would one that’s half compressed stretch out to 15”?! Is that would you meant? And should they be half compressed with no load?

How is that cover attached around that knee wall (or whatever you call it)? I’m not seeing any springs or anchors around it. How does that work exactly? Looks like some kind of cable running from one end of the wall to the other… is there a way to tighten that?

How is that cover attached around that knee wall (or whatever you call it)? I’m not seeing any springs or anchors around it. How does that work exactly? Looks like some kind of cable running from one end of the wall to the other… is there a way to tighten that?
there is a vinyl coated aircraft cable running alongside the permitter of the waterfall. it runs through metal loops built underneath the cover and rests on 8 removable anchors screwed into the sheer descent wall. Not really adjustable, no. I already made that cable as short/tight as I could..

Reactions: Orion7319
How do you tell the amount of compression?
Pull one and observe it with no load. Compare it with one still attached. It only pulls so far before bottoming out the other direction, and you want to be in the middle.
there is a vinyl coated aircraft cable running alongside the permitter of the waterfall. it runs through metal loops built underneath the cover and rests on 8 removable anchors screwed into the sheer descent wall.
It sounds sturdy but without adjustability on both sides, it may just be saggy like it is. You may be able to make up the difference with the long ways straps. They work together and both need to be about right.

Reactions: Orion7319
If you measure the distance "d" with no load, the distance with a load should be about 1/2 d.

Note that d is the empty space between the metal and not to the center of the metal.

The spring should never be fully compressed.

The tension force will be about 20 to 50 lbs with no water or snow on the cover.

The strap should be snug, but not super tight.

You should not be able to easily remove it with your hand.

1667865498599.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude
If you measure the distance "d" with no load, the distance with a load should be about 1/2 d.

Note that d is the empty space between the metal and not to the center of the metal.

The spring should never be fully compressed.

The tension force will be about 20 to 50 lbs with no water or snow on the cover.

The strap should be snug, but not super tight.

You should not be able to easily remove it with your hand.

View attachment 461553
great instructions, most appreciated. will test this out today!

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.