Is this pump & filter ok?

OhEc

Sep 3, 2019
Charlotte NC
I ve been a TFP member for years (Johnny B) but for this situation I am posting under OhEc here. OhEc is a friend and a new pool owner, he inherited/was given his neighbors pool (with a crummy pump & canister paper filter), and then a few weeks later he got another friend's better pump & sand filter and I'm trying to help him. We got the water chemistry under control, proper TF100 test kit etc

Here are the pool specs
7,200 gal (calculated on PoolMath), vinyl; Above Ground, 19.25Ft x 39inches deep water level ( we measured with a tape measure), round; brand: Summer Waves Elite

The original crummy filter& pump would be great to get rid of if you guys OK it.

The better pump & filter specs are:
PUMP
Intex SF60110-1 (Is the model of "both Intex pump & filter sold together" )
capacity: 0.59
name plate HP: 0.54
110-120 V; 60 (?or80?) Hz; 4.8 M
barcode on undersurface (saw two numbers):
2865 1EG 0270
20170123 JPA11

Sand Filter Specs
Qty of sand: 121 lbs
Effective Filtration rate: 1.44SquareFt
Filtration Rate: 30GPMSqaureFeet
Maximum Working Pressure: 30psi

The manual can be found here: http://www.intexsales.com/b2cmnl/B2CMNLServlet?instantiate=B2cMnldownloadApp&action=pub_mnl&filnam=195PO_R0_1804_EN.pdf

See attached photos

All comments welcomed. Will the better pump & filter work etc? Any tips or pointers? Yes we will get the missing piece (pump basket assembly) if you guys ok the idea (Or is it better to just get a whole new pump?
Thank you.

Attachments

• SandFilter 8.2019 19&27inchesHt.jpg
    SandFilter 8.2019 19&27inchesHt.jpg
    370.6 KB · Views: 12
  • PumpMotorByIntex.jpg
    PumpMotorByIntex.jpg
    606.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Pump&Filter crummy original.jpg
    Pump&Filter crummy original.jpg
    437.4 KB · Views: 11
I think that's the 1600gph model, which is a little small for 7600 gallons, although it might work if the run time is long enough. I'm running a 1200gph model on a 3800 gallon pool and I run it for 7 hours a day. I think it's small for this pool but has surprised me that it's working fine.

How much is the pump basket and gasket going to cost? Factor in shipping. A new 2800 or 3000 gph pump and filter combo is $200 and $247 respectively at first glance (Walmart often closes these out at end of season with free shipping).

I think that's the 1600gph model, which is a little small for 7600 gallons, We calculated 7200 gal but I assume that wouldn’t change anything in your post?

How much is the pump basket and gasket going to cost? Factor in shipping. Exactly what I was thinking.

A new 2800 or 3000 gph pump and filter combo is $200 and $247 respectively at first glance (Walmart often closes these out at end of season with free shipping).
Thank you very much for that info! Can you provide a link to these 2 models. And or can you or anyone else please provide a link to any motor & filter system you feel would be among the best products for this situation? I don’t have the knowledge to pick these items so I just defer to the TFP experts & don’t go back & forth with too many follow up questions on the TFP thread about it; that is what I've done for my own pump & filter & that is what me & OhEc will do for OhEc's.
Thank you

Right, 7200 or 7600 gallons is inconsequential. I hit the wrong key... :~}

This is a smokin deal on a 3000gph sand filter and pump combo and it's plenty for your pool. It's $60 off right now, so you may want to get it ordered before they sell out or raise the price back up.

You'll need some adapters to connect that existing skimmer/pump/filter thingie to the Intex, although I'm not sure which ones nor exactly how to do it. I think you'll find some help if you search the forums though. Or, maybe just replace that entirely with a new through wall skimmer (which also needs 1 adapter for the bottom to attach to the Intex hoses). The Hayward through wall skimmer on Amazon is $35 all day. I would never have another pool without it!

Frogabog is right on that one, I have the same exact pump, but the 12 inch version. My pool is significant smaller than yours, but my experience so far with the pump is that it's been performing flawlessly.
The trick to pumps/filtration system that I was not aware of and fortunately I had the experts here teach me is that you have to play with the pool size and run time to achieve your sanitation needs. You can go with a slightly smaller setup but run it more often, alternatively, you can go with a bigger setup and run it less often. I went with the latter, as I figured the less I have to run it the less wear and tear I will put on the pump.
When we upgrade to a 18x56 next season, most likely i will also upgrade the pump to the same setup frogabog recomended to you, the 16 inch version.

Thanks very much guys, great help as usual, since we are close to closing we will buy the part for $13 & see how it goes. I'm sure we'll be back in the future. Great re the through the wall skimmer, I had no idea.
Question, OhEc's pool has a skimmer at water level, I assume the water level should bisect that opening, half water & half air, like I have in my In-ground plaster pool? Thank you

Thanks very much guys, great help as usual, since we are close to closing we will buy the part for $13 & see how it goes. I'm sure we'll be back in the future. Great re the through the wall skimmer, I had no idea.
Question, OhEc's pool has a skimmer at water level, I assume the water level should bisect that opening, half water & half air, like I have in my In-ground plaster pool? Thank you
That's a great question, one I had not too long ago. The general consensus was that the lower the level the better it is at skimming but not so low that you endanger the pump sucking up water. The general recommendation was halfway the opening. You can see some more if the responses on my thread below:

Hope that helps.

Thank you guys, we got the pump you recommended , see the pix, so we no longer have the pump posted in the original post above that started this thread.

Can anyone provide any guidance on how to use the cleaner OhEc inherited?

What gets plugged into where? We can hook up to the new good pump now? How/where?

That blue piece looks like a garden hose attachment?

This vacuum got inherited. Is it garbage & he ought to get a different style vacuum rather than trying to make this junk work? For all I know he's missing a piece or 2 ? If you don’t like this vacuum , any suggestions what you think would be good in this pool? Thank you.20200414_143955.jpg20200414_144054.jpg20200414_144101.jpg

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.