Is this normal, never noticed it before

tstex

Silver Supporter
Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Hello,

I'm firing up the 400K BTU heater and the water started off at 55 degrees. The current spa temp was 80 degrees when I noticed water droplets coming out of end opposite of the IN & OUT pipes. Is this condensation? I have never noticed this before. The droplets were not warm but a bit cool.

I guess when the water gets hot [90-95], if it continues to drip and the water it hot, then I have a leak, yes?

I wanted to get in the spa in a bit, but should I turn off the heater or do anything else?

Thanks and pls advise, tstex

Just took a few pics: 1st pic's are the droplet's, the 3rd one is where it is dripping...

Attachments

• spa-heater-leak.jpg
    spa-heater-leak.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 85
  • spa-heater-leak3.jpeg.jpg
    spa-heater-leak3.jpeg.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 83
  • spa-heater-leak2.jpg
    spa-heater-leak2.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 85
See this thread on Pool Heater Condensation

It is normal with cold pool water and not good long term for your heater. Many heaters have a minimum pool water temperature to operate for this reason.

Hello,

I'm firing up the 400K BTU heater and the water started off at 55 degrees. The current spa temp was 80 degrees when I noticed water droplets coming out of end opposite of the IN & OUT pipes. Is this condensation? I have never noticed this before. The droplets were not warm but a bit cool.

I guess when the water gets hot [90-95], if it continues to drip and the water it hot, then I have a leak, yes?

I wanted to get in the spa in a bit, but should I turn off the heater or do anything else?

Thanks and pls advise, tstex

Just took a few pics: 1st pic's are the droplet's, the 3rd one is where it is dripping...

Thank you very much ajw...you made my weekend

The best time of the year to run my spa is when it's really cool outside, however, it doesn't seem like the condensation & NG combustion is too good for the heat exchanger. So I'm going to be limiting my usage now/--that's s real bummer

Besides the pressure relief valve, is there anything that can be installed at a reasonable cost & a DIY to proactively prevent the corrosion of the copper parts?

Thanks again for the thread referral

Set your SPA to keep a minimum water temp of around 65 degrees. That way the heat exchanger is always warm enough to create condensation.

You have to decide if the energy costs for that are less than the possible costs that condensation can cause.

Set your SPA to keep a minimum water temp of around 65 degrees. That way the heat exchanger is always warm enough to create condensation.

You have to decide if the energy costs for that are less than the possible costs that condensation can cause.

Yeah, I was afraid you were going to say that Allen...I don't run it too many times a year this way, maybe 4-5 times combined at the end of the year and beginning...the rest of the time the water's around 60-65. I'll just wait until we have some 2-4 days of sun that will warm it up enough to jump start it...up the in the "Garden State" you have a little more of a challenge, even since your N NJ. Maybe a few paks of Genesee Ale can jump start your process :tasty::cheers:

My pool in NJ has been closed since the 3rd week of October. It reopens in mid-April. I am off to Hawaii after the New Year.

It might be a leak in the heat exchanger. Turn the heater off and listen to the exhaust outlet vent and then have someone turn the pump off and listen for air to get sucked in.

When the pump turns off, the heat exchanger will be under vacuum as the water tries to return to the pool.

It might be a leak in the heat exchanger. Turn the heater off and listen to the exhaust outlet vent and then have someone turn the pump off and listen for air to get sucked in.

When the pump turns off, the heat exchanger will be under vacuum as the water tries to return to the pool.

I am happy to report after she heated up past 85, the dripping stopped. I put a Tupperware underneath and nothing, and all of the bottom evaporated when it hit 100. After getting out and turning off heater, I let pump run for 20 min for cool off process. And let set for 2 hrs.

When my daughter arrived home from CCE, I fired up the spa again at an 88 start up and she did fine again w no condensation. I just have to watch myself from using the heater when the water is below 60-65 degrees - thx for everyone's help / sorry for raising the red flag but I've never seen this since Jan 2015 install.

Merry Christmas to all,
tstex

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.