sum1els

May 8, 2023
Lincoln, Nebraska
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have noticed these "dusty" spots at the bottom of the pool. When I brush, it looks like a poof of dust. Does it look like MA (might have to zoom the photo). I have never noticed it on the walls or anything, just the bottom ?

Thanks

IMG_8436.jpg

So, yesterday. I vacuumed for 9 hours, 3 hours at a time and cleaning the vacuum filters in between. Throughout the day while it was running, I went out and brushed wherever I see these spots appear (mostly low spots at the bottom). Later I've noticed that there was a thin layer that formed on the steps, so I could reach it and it felt more abrasive than slimy. While the vacuum was running, I kept moving the steps around and brushing so nothing gets trapped underneath.

By the end of the day, I couldn't really see it anymore. I did a OCLT anyway, last night after sunset and this morning before sunrise and I didn't loose any FC.

We have a mesh cover over winter and had some really bad windy days very early spring, with 70 acres of corn fields to our direct south. We also had a new roof replacement over winter too, so I am sure lots of dusty water/snow filters through that cover into the pool. I remember when I opened it up, the bottom was pretty dirty, but it was more dark brown and these were more mustardy (hence the reason for this post)

Anyway, I think, maybe it was just persistent dirt/dust that I didn't get from opening up a month or so ago. I also ran the pump all day on high yesterday and overnight on low, so maybe all the stirring up made the pump filter also catch some of it.

I will keep an eye out on it, but I am pretty confident it didn't turn out to be algae.

Thanks for everyones input and advice.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I did a OCLT anyway, last night after sunset and this morning before sunrise and I didn't loose any FC.
:goodjob: I'm out in the country and get a ton of dust & stuff blown into the pool. It's a never-ending battle.

Reactions: sum1els
Hey all .. well, I am still kinda struggling with these brownish "dust" spots at the bottom of the pool, mostly in low spots and seams. I feel it's worse when my pool pump runs on high for some reason. When you get close and wave your hand it poofs and vanishes. I am not sure if it's dead algae, live algae or pollen. but did a OCLT last night, 7.5 after dark, 8 before sunrise this morning (not sure why). We do have a birch tree overhanging the pool and constantly find the pollen pods in the pool and all over our deck.

Anyway, I sucked some of the "dust" up into a water bottle

33D09D77-3400-47DC-924E-55C6001DB8AA.jpg
it is very fine and I think it passes straight through my vacuum filters. I can manual vacuum to filter, but not sure that would catch it either ?

any thoughts ?

don't mean to hi-jack your thread but i came here to make a post as i'm having this exact problem, saw your post and figured i'd add to it too. I thought maybe it was a constant algae bloom that was forming and dying so i've been attacking it from that angle. found my phosphates were at least over 1000 (thats the highest the test i got goes), after a couple of treatments now have them down to 200. have not done a OCLT yet but have been maintaining my chlorine levels towards SLAM while i was doing the phosphate treatment.

hadn't used the pool for a couple of days and opened it this morning and there was a ton of it on the pool floor. spent an hour or so vacuuming it out and roughly 2 hours later i already have more gathering along the wrinkles/seams/low spots. if its just constant dirt blowing into the pool and settling then thats fine, i'll just keep dealing with that. i just want to make sure its not algae or worse, mustard algae..... Here is a video i took a bit ago of it in my pool, this was after the vacuuming and it starting to settle/form up again.

looks very similar to what you are seeing.... hopefully we can at least figure out what it is!

Last edited:
don't mean to hi-jack your thread but i came here to make a post as i'm having this exact problem, saw your post and figured i'd add to it too. I thought maybe it was a constant algae bloom that was forming and dying so i've been attacking it from that angle. found my phosphates were at least over 1000 (thats the highest the test i got goes), after a couple of treatments now have them down to 200. have not done a OCLT yet but have been maintaining my chlorine levels towards SLAM while i was doing the phosphate treatment.

hadn't used the pool for a couple of days and opened it this morning and there was a ton of it on the pool floor. spent an hour or so vacuuming it out and roughly 2 hours later i already have more gathering along the wrinkles/seams/low spots. if its just constant dirt blowing into the pool and settling then thats fine, i'll just keep dealing with that. i just want to make sure its not algae or worse, mustard algae..... Here is a video i took a bit ago of it in my pool, this was after the vacuuming and it starting to settle/form up again.

looks vary similar to what you are seeing.... hopefully we can at least figure out what it is!
That is exactly what mine looks like !

I have these too. I think it's just dirt/sand. Mine is on pool step where there happens to be a return. I run my pump during the day. My observation is: if the weather is calm (no rain or wind), then there is very little accumulation overnight. But when I check at 6pm after the pump has run full day, there is visibly much more.

If it was dead/live algae, then it will add in a uniform way during the day.

Uncovered the pool this morning and back to tons of whatever it is on the floor of my pool 😕 seems excessive to just be dirt..... I haven't been able to run an OCLT but plan to do that tonight. I'm assuming if it's algae my FC will drop and if it's dirt it won't.
IMG20230625085343.jpgIMG20230625085322.jpg

@IronMan13
I hope its just dirt again. 🤞
If it is you can try adding a little de to your sand filter to help catch the finer stuff.
I get alot of dirt/dust & between using a little de after each backwash & running my robot with the pleated extra fine filters every day my pool now stays clean.

the only reason i think mine might be algae or dead algae is because I found and caught at least 4 water boatman bugs while swimming yesterday. I don't see a reason for them to be there if they don't have algae to eat.

the only reason i think mine might be algae or dead algae is because I found and caught at least 4 water boatman bugs while swimming yesterday. I don't see a reason for them to be there if they don't have algae to eat.
Sometimes they just get in (not unlike other unwanted bugs). Maybe from a pond nearby or whatever. At any rate, ensure you have adequate FC & do an
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test if you think there's something brewing.

I have the spots too. Every day actually. I’ve slammed it. I mustard slammed it. I see the spots in my dreams . They never go away . . Don’t worry too much about it. They aren’t going anywhere. I don’t mean to be a jerk I’m just being honest.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.