Is this Mustard Algae ?

I have the spots too. Every day actually. I’ve slammed it. I mustard slammed it. I see the spots in my dreams . They never go away . . Don’t worry too much about it. They aren’t going anywhere. I don’t mean to be a jerk I’m just being honest.
I feel the same, never seem to go away. some days it's not as bad as others.

I'm now 99% convinced mine is dead algae that i've unknowingly been fighting. we were busy for a couple of days so hadn't used the pool, but uncovered it during the day, so it had a lot of time for stuff to settle. This is what it looked like yesterday afternoon
IMG20230626175059.jpg

@sum1els i copied your idea of the water bottle and used a turkey baster to suck some of it up and put it in a bowl :D it looks like very fluid snot and is not sandy/gritty at all, very slimy.
IMG20230626211702.jpg

I then was able to finally do a OCLT last night, tested about 9pm and had FC of 26.5, turned the pump and everything off and covered the pool. got up this morning and tested the water about 7:30am, FC was 21. so a loss of 5.5. so definitely have algae that i'm fighting. i had vacuumed out everything last night and backwashed my filter, the good news is this morning there was very little build up on the floor that returned overnight, so hopefully that means i'm close to winning :D

going to go get some more chlorine today and keep my FC at SLAM level until my OCLT passes and hopefully i'll be set then!

Reactions: Mdragger88
ok, i'm not sure what i did wrong or if this is just something that can happen.... So the other night when i passed the OCLT i tested FC at 24 at night and then in the morning it was 24.5. I just figured maybe i miss counted 1 drop when i tested the night before on why it went up. I decided to play it safe and around noon yesterday dumped another gallon of 12.5% chlorine in. pool was open all day, had some lines of "dirt" show up again, but very little this time and they didn't have the translucent edges that i was seeing, so i'm assuming that was actually dirt.

So i do another OCLT last night just to double check myself, tested the FC last night and i'm at 19...... and CC was at 1.5. So i'm thinking, that seems like a large drop when i started the day out at 24.5 and put another gallon of chlorine in, how could i drop to 19?!?!? so i tested it this morning to see where i was at and FC tested at 23 and CC at 1.

so did i just mess something up in my test where i got 19? i have no idea what i would have done to mess it up though.... or is it possible to have that drastic swings of FC?

ok, i'm not sure what i did wrong or if this is just something that can happen.... So the other night when i passed the OCLT i tested FC at 24 at night and then in the morning it was 24.5. I just figured maybe i miss counted 1 drop when i tested the night before on why it went up. I decided to play it safe and around noon yesterday dumped another gallon of 12.5% chlorine in. pool was open all day, had some lines of "dirt" show up again, but very little this time and they didn't have the translucent edges that i was seeing, so i'm assuming that was actually dirt.

So i do another OCLT last night just to double check myself, tested the FC last night and i'm at 19...... and CC was at 1.5. So i'm thinking, that seems like a large drop when i started the day out at 24.5 and put another gallon of chlorine in, how could i drop to 19?!?!? so i tested it this morning to see where i was at and FC tested at 23 and CC at 1.

so did i just mess something up in my test where i got 19? i have no idea what i would have done to mess it up though.... or is it possible to have that drastic swings of FC?
That’s about a 10ppm loss in a day which is not uncommon when doing a slam as algae consumes fc quickly along with fact that higher levels of fc burn off more quickly.
The other concern is the cc’s.
Be sure to check & scrub every nook & cranny.
Also, clean your beaker with alcohol to be sure some of that isn’t from contamination.
Slam level for a cya of 70 is 28ppm. It doesn’t look like you’re getting there very often.
FC/CYA Levels

Reactions: IronMan13
That’s about a 10ppm loss in a day which is not uncommon when doing a slam as algae consumes fc quickly along with fact that higher levels of fc burn off more quickly.
The other concern is the cc’s.
Be sure to check & scrub every nook & cranny.
Also, clean your beaker with alcohol to be sure some of that isn’t from contamination.
Slam level for a cya of 70 is 28ppm. It doesn’t look like you’re getting there very often.
FC/CYA Levels
got it, so even though i happened to pass the OCLT one night doesn't mean i've successfully beaten it. i'll continue to monitor and maintain SLAM until i'm confident its been beaten! :D

got it, so even though i happened to pass the OCLT one night doesn't mean i've successfully beaten it. i'll continue to monitor and maintain SLAM until i'm confident its been beaten! :D
Yup- gotta check all 3 boxes
✅ CC is 0.5 or lower;
✅ You pass an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
AND
✅ The water is clear.
(Crystal Clear w/no algae dead or alive)

Reactions: IronMan13
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.