Is this light safe?

arizonarain

Sep 6, 2021
Phoenix Az
Hi all! Our pool remodel was completed about 4 weeks ago, after the pool has been empty for 12 years. Everything went pretty much trouble-free, but we were not happy with the light fixture and the way it was considered "installed and safe". There is a huge gap left all around the brand new light, and according to the builders, it is because the new lightbox does not fit properly into the existing lightbox already in the pool. The reason why they originally suggested that we change the old, working light was the possibility of a cracked seal, but at least the old light was fitting snug and tight against the pool wall.
The reason i am inquiring about this gap around the light is the fact that not only I feel unsafe while swimming, but we also have to fill the pool daily.
Our summer was pretty mild compared to summers we used to have here in Phoenix Az while the pool was still operational, but I don't remember us having to top of the pool on a daily basis. I am trying to keep it filled up to the midline on a skimmer box, but I am finding it challenging, as we lose at least half an inch if not more.
I watched some Youtube videos today, and they seem to imply that the source of a leak can be an improperly installed light fixture, so with gaps like we have, it makes me wonder. Any advice on safety and possible loss of water?

Attachments

• 20210906_094526.jpg
    20210906_094526.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210906_094538.jpg
    20210906_094538.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210906_094556.jpg
    20210906_094556.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 14
A,

I doubt there is a safety issue, as the area between the light fixture and the gunite is always flooded anyway..

But it looks sloppy and they should not have filled the pool until they solved the fit issue.

A leaking seal at the back the light niche is most likely where your water is going.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Yep, those lights are meant to be wet all around them. Even a very proper install with no visible gap will allow water behind the light by design. Assuming correct wiring and bonding, should be safe.

Conduit behind the light niche is a very common area for a leak. A simple dye test will prove/disprove the light as the water loss culprit. And while maybe not an ultimate "fix", stopping the water loss at this point is generally pretty cheap and easy.

Losing 1/2" or more of water per day is not unheard of in PHX when it's 110*. Suggest you do the bucket test to see if it's evaporation or a leak.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.