Is this indicative of mustard algae?

Apr 25, 2017
Georgia
So I have a SWG pool, CYA is about 60ppm. Last week, I noticed some yellow "dust" in the pool, potentially mustard algae. This was odd as I keep pretty consistent FC levels at or above the mustard minimum. It spread really quickly this past weekend to the point where I'd brush it and it would re-appear only 3-4 hours later.

Naturally, I decided to SLAM. At 60ppm CYA, I shocked up to about 25ppm of chlorine. I passed the overnight loss test that night - no CCs, only 0.5ppm of loss overnight.

The next afternoon, I moved onto the mustard algae shock at about 35ppm. I dumped in all the pool tools plus some inflatable and added 4 gallons of 10% to get up to about 40ppm from ~20. An hour later, ppm was down to about 34 with about 2ppm of CCs. I added 3 more gallons, which should have gotten it up to about 50 ppm. Again, two hours later and I'm back to 34ppm with even more CCs, about 4 ppm! This process continues until over 2 days I've added more than 20 gallons of 10% bleach. FINALLY, I pass the OCLT with no CCs and chlorine stayed at about 38ppm overnight.

Is my thinking correct that this is indicative of mustard algae? No FC loss or CCs at regular shock, but suddenly I'm going through chlorine like there's no tomorrow when I raise above mustard shock level.

MA? .... sounds like it could be. However unlike the normal SLAM Process, there is no OCLT to complete the MA process. You just elevate the FC and clean like crazy for 24 hrs. Because FC drops quicker the higher you go over the FC target range, we know that at MA levels, FC drops extremely fast. That's one reason it's only for 24 hrs and there is no OCLT associated with it. Plus, it's a higher ratio of bleach to CYA which is stronger that we generally use on a daily basis. So if you completed the SLAM and did the MA for 24 hrs, you should be done. Now you can monitor to see how well everything went. Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.