Is This In The Open or Closed Position?

Dec 11, 2017
Pa
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi guys! So, I'm in the middle of SLAM and trying to manually vacuum my pool to help the process along, but when I was vacuuming, I heard a loud pop. I noticed there wasn't really any suction and turned it off. When I went to remove the hose from the filter basket, I noticed the basket was pulled under the plastic ring inside. This happened to me a few years ago and what ended up being the issues was the valve (which sits right below the actuator valve) has always been in this position (as seen in the pic below where the cap is darker red) and we never move it. And since everything worked fine we just always figured it was where it should be and left it at that. BUT the year we had the same issues I went out and noticed it was turned in the other direction. It should look like the red handle pic below.

Fast forward this year I THINK they turned the valve into the wrong position (since I'm gaving the same issues) AGAIN but put the handle on wrong so that it looks like it's in the correct position. SMH I took the handle off and took pics of what the valve under it looks like. Can you tell by looking at it if it is indeed in the wrong position? It SHOULD be OPEN like in the pic with (what's left of) the red handle. NOT CLOSED. Which is what I think they did but put the dang handle on in the wrong position. I of course can't tell. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20180512_194122.jpg
    20180512_194122.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 20210515_133227.jpg
    20210515_133227.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 20210515_133232.jpg
    20210515_133232.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 28
As luck would have it I have one of those Jandy's in my box of old valves. The notches line up with the open position.. so the two in the pic are open.

The two (black) are the same valve. So you're saying the way they are now is open? Doesn't need to be moved over some? Just left as is? I ask because I'm not understanding then how or why the skimmer basket got sucked under that ring that it sits on if that valve is as it should be. The only way it stopped getting sucked under last time was because the valve was in the incorrect position. So, if it's open like it should be, do you have any other ideas as to why it would be getting sucked under the ring when vacuuming? I don't want to risk hooking it up again, it getting sucked in then the ring and basket break like last time.

I think if you pulled what is left of the red handle off you will see it has the same black piece that connects to the ball valve. I don't know how your valves are plumbed into your system to be able to answer your question as to why the basket got sucked int. Do you have a main drain? Did that get clogged? Is there a diverter under the basket?

I think if you pulled what is left of the red handle off you will see it has the same black piece that connects to the ball valve. I don't know how your valves are plumbed into your system to be able to answer your question as to why the basket got sucked int. Do you have a main drain? Did that get clogged? Is there a diverter under the basket?

I did pull off the remaining red handle and the pics of the black part IS what was under it. I have two drains in my pool but they are never used for anything. At least we never had to do anything with them as far as the pool operation goes. Not sure what a diverter under the basket means. Under the basket there is an open hole and one that is plugged and we never do anything with those either. They just stick a gizmo in the open one when it comes time to close the pool.

You can see the broken handle I showed above in the photo in front of the actuator valve in the pic below. The other pic of is pool operation.

Attachments

• 20180512_160302.jpg
    20180512_160302.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 20180512_160938.jpg
    20180512_160938.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 13
As for my pug, he loves water! Always has and will even jump in the shower with us if we leave the door open or allow him in the bathroom. LOL He swims with us all the time then chills on his float. LOL

So there are a few things that can cause the basket to get sucked in.. well only one, but three things that I can think of that will lead to it. The pump suction must be getting strong enough to pull it in. And I can only think of these that would lead to that..
1) If the weir door is getting jammed and not letting enough water through
2) the pool water level is getting to low and not letting enough water through
3) there is so much stuff in the basket that it bloking the water and it sucks the whole thing down
4) some combination of the above.

Since the other line coming into your skimmer is blocked off there is only one source for water.. that is through the skimmer. If your pool had a bottom drain, its typically routed through the other line in the bottom of the skimmer box (that you say is plugged) and a little diverter float valve keeps the pump from running dry. you appear to not have one according to your post. I see two lines going into your pump and those need to be on to pull water from the pool. I don't know what each one does. Then four lines going back, two that go through the chlorinator and two that bypass the chlorinator. I'm not sure what that other black valve looking thing is in front of the filter. I can't see it very well.

So does that sound like a reasonable explanation of what might be happening?

My pug hates that water.. but he loves to float.. once I get him on an inner tube he will stay there all day if you let him.

Yeah I guess it makes sense however it only happened when I was cleaning the pool. It has NEVER been sucked down otherwise. Only ever when I was cleaning. And, like I said, several years ago when it first happened was because that one valve was switched. Once we switched it back it never happened again until today. Also, door working fine and the water level where it should be. Thanks for the info. I guess I will just have to keep my eye/ear on it to see if it happens again. OH and that black valve is the actuator for the solar heater. It operates on it's own.

Well, at least your pug will get on the float/inner tube. LOL

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.