Is this from adding baking soda or could this be something else?

NSBFAN

Nov 13, 2015
Minnesota
Hi all, I found this sort of "cookie" like puck in the pool pump filter basket (the one just before the pump. It was in one piece about the size of a sandwich cookie. It has a smooth consistency, broke up pretty easy, and isn't real gritty. I'm wondering if this is baking soda that for some reason congealed together in the basket. Or could it be something else like my pool finish or something? It's the first time I've noticed such a thing. When I add baking soda, I distribute it then use my wall whale brush to try and dissolve it. My pool runs a Kreepy Krauly sandshark cleaner most of the time with the skimmer on and main drains off.

If it's baking soda, is there a better way to add? I last added a large box as my TA was at 50. Any thoughts are appreciated.

It has really no smell at all. When I smush it between my fingers, it's a smooth feel, not a paste but like a very fine compound. Hard to describe because there's not any perceptible grit to it. Very bizarre.

If you put it on something that can get a little muriatic acid on it and put a little MA on it (very carefully so it doesn't get on things you don't want to be burned by acid), does it do anything?

LOL - I appreciate the comments. My pool is covered with a screened cage, so no bird. No kids around. Plus, this was NOT in the skimmer basket, it was in the sealed pump basket. So it would have had to be sucked up by my sandshark and I'd think that would pulverize anything. I think its some material that was loose but bound together in the pump basket. Just weird.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.